Thread: Molecule Screensaver

Beans

Molecule Screensaver

Hello,
    I am not sure whether this is in the correct section, however for the first time today (while using Ubuntu Feisty) I checked out the screensavers section and noticed theres a great screensaver (for scientists) called Molecule. I Wondered whether this was available for Windows as well, as I wouldnt mind putting it on my work laptop. I'm a science teacher at a school in the UK, thats why I thought it'd be nice.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Molecule Screensaver

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/ is the site all the ubuntu screensavers come from

about a windows version he says
    There is no Windows version of xscreensaver, and there never will be. Please stop asking. Microsoft killed my company, and I hold a personal grudge. I don't use any Microsoft products and neither should you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by skezza View Post
    Hello,
    I am not sure whether this is in the correct section, however for the first time today (while using Ubuntu Feisty) I checked out the screensavers section and noticed theres a great screensaver (for scientists) called Molecule. I Wondered whether this was available for Windows as well, as I wouldnt mind putting it on my work laptop. I'm a science teacher at a school in the UK, thats why I thought it'd be nice.
    Thanks
    Google Molecule screensaver there are plenty of them out there.

Beans

Yes, google is the best teacher.

Last edited by freda; April 2nd, 2007 at 06:58 AM.

Beans

Ah ok, well, the reason i liked that one so much is it actually gave real molecules, structured properly along with the name and i've never seen one like it. I've actually recently asked if I could install a version of Ubuntu on, however, when i used the live CD, I had serious problems with the Wireless Card, but its typical really its a RA2400 so i was expecting them. Its not a worry at the moment though, as i doubt ill be allowed. But I use it on my home PC all the time

Thanks again

Beans

Glad I dug up this forum, anyway, whoever said this:

There is no Windows version of xscreensaver, and there never will be. Please stop asking. Microsoft killed my company, and I hold a personal grudge. I don't use any Microsoft products and neither should you.
    ...is 100% right, especially with Vista. On a related note (to this topic), however, the only thing I wish to see in that particular screensaver is at least 100-200 more molecules, that way there'd usually be something new you haven't noticed before. I have never found a screensaver quite like this one and am quite fond of it.

I also miss the advanced options that let me configure the density and speed of the glyphs in glMatrix.
    E*

Beans

Hi There!!

To Add molecules to the molecule screen saver do the following:

Replace gnome-screensaver (which is a repackaging of the original Xscreensaver) with Xscreensaver.

In terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
    Then run xscreensaver-demo to configure xscreensaver.
    Code:
    xscreensaver-demo
    Now a window will pop up listing all of the screen savers that are a part of the package. You can select how they run, their refresh rate, and for the molecule screen saver, a number of other options. One is selecting a source (folder) for pdb files.

You can download pdb files, put them in a folder, and have the screensaver display them.

I made a hidden folder called molecule in my home folder like this:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.molecule
    It's hidden because I don't want to see it cluttering up my home folder. (Hidden folders are denoted by a . in front of the folder name, and can be displayed within a file browser by pressing Ctrl-H)

I made a folder with about 100 more molecules. If anyone would like me to send them this folder, just shoot me a email at
    bruce [at] schaller-solutions [dot] com

If you found this useful, and would you add any more molecules, let me know, and send me some more pdb's!

Thanks!
    Bruce Schaller

Beans

Molecule seems to be no longer included by default.

To install it and many other screensavers, use this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra
    And you will be good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

On my installation apt does not find xscreensaver-gl-extra and xscreensaver-data-extra, and says that xscreensaver-gl and xscreensaver-data replace them. However molecule is not installed. Anybody got a clue how to install it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Molecule Screensaver

I just came across this thread, when looking to add to the Molecule Screensaver.

A nice coincidence

Someone was wondering if there is a Windows equivalent.

I was just looking on Google.

Check out an online viewer called Santorini,

and a screensaver called Patmos.

These allow you to see molecules on the computer.

These are written by Robert Oeffner at the University of Cambridge.

See:

Robert Oeffner's Santorini and Patmos Viewers