rereading previous posts it seems I overlooked this argument I've failed to notice since I thought we're talking headless compute nodes.
Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
but Sarge and Etch were crude on the Desktop compared to Ubuntu 6.06...
So just out of curiosity.
Tony are you really implying an X server / client in the SSI nodes ? Aside from the unnecessary cost this would cause major problems as all GPU's should be of the same brand. Considering you'd only install the client X libraries on the nodes and use a remote X > XDMCP ( the machine which renders the image on screen / has display is the X server ) then still it's nearly impossible since kerrighed doesn't support LVS ( common cluster IP address ) that the X client could use to communicate with a standalone X server > could be handy for a multiseat system .
I have some experience with OpenGL clusters, and that is a completely different topic in all aspects ( would be nice though ).....
In any case, the easiest way to implement a GUI is a web-based one tied to a job scheduler.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkertim View Post
However, the jump to 2.6.29 would make it much easier.
in all aspects ... kerrighed being part of the kernel instead of a module, changes things drastically....

For a long time many people used the word 'commercial' to refer to non-free software which now causes a lot of confusion and mistrust.

Kerrighed has a very good, very honest and very transparent business model. Use / share / modify the software any way you like .. if you get stuck, paid support and development is available.

You will always have those who are a little over-sensitive to this kind of arrangement. For instance, someone might ask for help to implement thread migration and get a reply that they'll be better off hiring Kerlabs (which they would be). Then, the person will start screaming 'baitware' or worse.
I feel I need to clarify my statement on this.
The amount of money involved to develop thread migration ( the estimate I got from Kerlabs ) is considerable ( for a person ) and enough to buy myself a nice house.....
Knowing that its very hard to turn OSS into something commercial / proprietary, one could only try to commercialize a web-based front-end / scheduler....

I don't know if you'd be able to find a MOTU that would be interested in keeping up with Kerrighed, but surely nothing is preventing someone from making it available via PPA.
I doubt an ubuntu MOTU will be interested/has time so yes PPA is a valid option...

Jan