Thread: Power button not working - no video signal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unhappy Power button not working - no video signal

The whole sad and sorry story of the install from hell can be read here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...68#post6485062

I am posting this under a more descriptive title for the problem we are faced with now.

After much re-booting in an attempt to install Xubuntu, we shut the machine down. When we tried to switch it on again, the power light comes on for a second, the cpu fan spins for a second, but the machine doesn't stay on. Then, after repeating pressings, completely at random, it goes on and stays on but there is no signal to the monitor. Everything works, the hard drives are spinning, cpu fan etc. No beeps so sounds wrong (not even the one short beep). Then, naturally, after eventually getting the things kicking over, we can't switch it off again!

Incidentally, I swapped the power and reset around so the reset button was working as the power button, but it made no difference (to test that the button itself wasn't screwed). We also tried unplugging everything but the vid card; no different when we could actually get the thing running.

I'm thinking power supply or cpu, what are you thinking?

All ideas welcome and thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Power button not working - no video signal

The last time something similar happened to me, I put in a new power supply and the problems vanished!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Power button not working - no video signal

Before you yank the power supply, try shutting down the machine, unplug the AC cord, and switch the little red 'Voltage Selector' switch on the power supply back and forth to clean the switch. It's right by the AC connector. Make sure it set to the proper voltage again. (115 / 230 volts)