Thread: HOWTO: VMware 6.0.5 with kernel 2.6.27 ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Talking HOWTO: VMware 6.0.5 with kernel 2.6.27 ubuntu 8.10

After much searching and messing about I have found the way to install 6.0.5 with kernel 2.6.27 such as in 8.10.

First,
    go here and download the three tar files in the first post

vmmon.tar, vmnet.tar and vmblock.tar

These were mentioned in an archived thread here but the links were 404'd, these links work, hooray!

Now install Vmware 6.0.5 as normal (if you don't have it already). When you get to the config stage it will fail to compile vmmon.

Copy the three tar files to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source (or if you installed to a different place, then copy to that appropriate place).

Now run vmware-config.pl

Enjoy a working VMWare again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: VMware 6.0.5 with kernel 2.6.27 ubuntu 8.10

i had a different error when trying to compile but i gave this a shot and it worked. Thanks for the great instructions and the links to the files

Beans

A big thanks from a Fedora user to u ^^ .. your method worked flowlesly & VMware is working great under the 2.6.27.5-3 kernel..

thanks again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sleemanj View Post
    After much searching and messing about I have found the way to install 6.0.5 with kernel 2.6.27 such as in 8.10.
    YOU ROCK. Thank you for the links! I had been looking for a solution to my situation where bridging wasn't working to my wireless interface. In my case (running VMWare Server 1.0.8 with Ubuntu Intreped kernel 2.6.27) I simply copied the updated vmnet.tar file and bridging to wireless works as it should!

Beans

Thanks to your post modules build and load just fine (I copied them to vmware-any-any-update-116/ and ran the ./runme.pl script which copied them to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ itself). But WS 6.0.0 won't start No error whatsoever. When I click the icon the KDE sandbox just twirls for a while, and that's it.