Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Setup... or Why I hate Windows

Beans

Exclamation Windows Setup... or Why I hate Windows

I haven't had to have the misfortune of installing windows for a good few years. But due to some testing I have to do, I've just done it. I thought I'd share my horrible experience with everyone...

Before I start, I'll just mention that this PC is fairly standard. It's a dual core Athlon 64 with an ATI onboard graphics card, and bog standard onboard audio, network etc. The only expansion card is a wireless network adapter.

OK, so I had the following partition layout before I started:
    Code:
    Primary: /home
    Extended:
          Linux Root partition
          Empty NTFS formatted partition (to install Windows)
          Swap Partition
    So I got the 64bit edition of XP, put the disc in and got through to the partition selection screen.. so far so good. Next I selected the empty partition, pressed enter and I was greeted with something similar to the following message:
    Code:
    To install Windows on the partition you selected setup must write some startup files to the following disk:
    xxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    So, Windows won't install unless it can write to the primary partition which is my HOME partition. And it can't write there coz it doesn't understand ext3 (I'm assuming). The only option it gives me is to DELETE my home partition!!!

This meant that the only thing to do is to copy EVERYTHING to an external disk, delete the partitions, recreate them in a way so that Windows can write to the first one!! So I've wasted a couple of hours of my life so far.

Once that was all done (thanks to the GParted livecd!) I put the Windows disk in again. It boots and I can select the partition and it begins copying files.. yay...

Now, anyone that has installed Windows knows that it has to reboot 27 times or something. So when it finished copying the files it tells me to press enter to reboot. A few seconds later I get this message:

Code:
    disk error
    ... OK, so it didn't work. I could boot from the CD, but not the hard disk. So, I go through the whole first part of the setup process once again. This time I format both the primary partition and the install partition with the "slow" option which takes another half an hour of my life. Finally when it reboots the setup continues..

So now I wait a while, fill in the stuff about where I am and my keyboard and everything, setup goes pretty smoothly after this until it reboots again and finally I get into Windows. I have a pretty big monitor (22" widescreen) and a fairly powerful graphics card so do you think:

a.) It chooses a high vesa mode
    b.) Installs a driver and chooses the correct mode for my monitor
    c.) Sets the resolution to 640x480 and doesn't provide any widescreen modes

I'll give you a clue... it's C.

So I log in, try to up the resolution but there's no widescreen options so everything is squashed. I go to the device manager to see what hasn't been set up...

1. My graphics card
    2. My wired network adapter
    3. My wireless network adapter (which works out of the box on Ubuntu)
    4. My sound card
    5. Something called "SM device"
    6. Somthing very descriptively called "Unknown device"

So, now I'm in the process of installing Linux so I can download the drivers I need for Windows.

I'm sorry, but the next person to say "Linux isn't ready for the desktop" or "I installed Ubuntu but my wireless doesnt work" is going to get firmly redirected to this post.

Now, I'm going to try and do something more useful with what's left of my day, like stare at a wall or something.

Beans

Re: Windows Setup... or Why I hate Windows

Yup.

The FUNNY part your leaving out is the adverts for HOW GREAT Windows is and how "secure" it is, how safe and secure IE6 is, etc that flash across your screen during install.

On my desktop box I have 2 internal HDDs and 1 removeable HDD (for backup easy movement of lots of files)--One internal goes to Linux (/root, /media, /swap), the other internal goes to windows--with GRUB living on the linux drive and the linux drive being Primary in boot order in BIOS. Lots of failsafes-I can lose either OS and not bork anything, I can lose a whoe harddrive-and even 2 in some cases, and not lose anything really.

When I installed XP-nothing worked out of the box. Wireless, onboard mobo audio, graphics. All needed drivers.

When I installed Hardy Heron, similar to XP. Only thing that worked out of the box was onboard mobo audio.

When I installed Ibex....only thing that did not work right away was wireless-which needs Ndiswrapper. GPU driver was loaded and monitor instantly booted at native resolution, audio worked fine.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Windows is not compatible with your wall. Stop staring at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kazade View Post
    To install Windows on the partition you selected setup must write some startup files to the following disk:
    xxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    [/code]

So, Windows won't install unless it can write to the primary partition which is my HOME partition.
    Not really; Windows needs to set up the MBR; which will not affect either your data or your partition, but will remove GRUB, and thus the ability to boot into Ubuntu.

However, everything else you say stands; I am always surprised how well GNU/Linux handles 95% of hardware just off the live CD. Windows is like a cripple without a crutch until the drivers for everything are installed.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: Windows Setup... or Why I hate Windows

I wonder why .
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans

Linked in my signature.
    Last edited by Eisenwinter; November 22nd, 2008 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Not really; Windows needs to set up the MBR; which will not affect either your data or your partition, but will remove GRUB, and thus the ability to boot into Ubuntu.
    I expected it to wipe out grub. But I assure you it said I had to format the primary partition, infact even when I reorganized the partitions (and still installed to a logical partition) it formatted both the primary one and the one it was being installed to. To be honest, I'm just relieved the pain is over, and now I can begin to move on with my life

Beans

Windows wants to get rid of the ability to boot into Ubuntu because of Microscum's childish little scheme of having to be the center of attention and the main OS.

Can't wait till Microsoft goes bankrupt, I'll just laugh. Of course I'll likely be a very old man and might cough, collapse and die afterwards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yownanymous View Post
    Windows wants to get rid of the ability to boot into Ubuntu because of Microscum's childish little scheme of having to be the center of attention and the main OS.

Can't wait till Microsoft goes bankrupt, I'll just laugh. Of course I'll likely be a very old man and might cough, collapse and die afterwards.
    But at least you'll die because of a good cause, laughing at Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh dear....

My task tomorrow is to do a full XP reinstall on the Wife's Dell Dimension 9600. I did it last about 14 months ago and it was a nightmare! NOTHING worked out of the box, video, sound, network deda deda deda!

Fortunately I have five machines here, all linked to the network so I spend about an hour downloading the drivers from the Dell website and installing them. I had the presence of mind to keep them and last night burned them to a CD so that should save some time!

I'm in absolute agreement that peeps who wine about Linux not being hardware friendly should be referred to this thread. To add to the argument, a week or so after the last XP reinstall, Her In Doors said to me "Why can't I play video files or DVDs"?

WTF? Guess what, by default there were no codecs! Now, where do you go for them?

Linux at least trys to keep everything in one place, the repos.

When 8.10 came out, Kubuntu, having backed up all my files on this Sony laptop, it took about 40 minutes to install and a further 30 minutes to have the machine shared and sharing on the network, fully multimedia enabled and copying back my files.

L..ife I..s N..ice for U..sers of X..
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast