Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.10: nvidia-settings segmentation fault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

8.10: nvidia-settings segmentation fault

In the nvidia-settings menu (System->Administration->NVIDIA X Server Settings), if I click "Save to X Configuration File" (in the "X Server Display Configurations" page), the window closes. This was not the behavior in Ubuntu 8.04. If I open the menu from the command line, then clicking "Save to X Configuration File" will print "Segmentation fault" before the window closes. This happens whether or not I use sudo when executing nvidia-settings.

I heard that the new X.Org was going to rely less on the xorg.conf file, but it still exits. I can still apply my desired changes by clicking "Apply", so I personally do not have any problems. I am wondering if the segfault is a bug.

Does anyone else have this behavior in 8.10?

Beans

Re: 8.10: nvidia-settings segmentation fault

I was just about to create a thread for this very problem. I am experiencing it as well.
    Code:
    while (homework > 0) happiness--;
    // Don't worry. I'm a multithreaded program. ;)

Beans

Unhappy Re: 8.10: nvidia-settings segmentation fault

I'm having the same issue After every reboot I need to run nvidia-settings to get the settings back, as they get lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In a, possibly, related issue...

When I try to apply my settings the first time, the wrong monitor is the primary (even though I have the other monitor checked). So I do not accept the new setup (by clicking cancel when it is counting down). If I just click apply again, then the correct monitor is the primary.

Beans

I found a solution that seems to work.

I renamed my xorg.conf file to something radically different: xorg_conf_backup.txt

Then, when I had nvidia-settings save to xorg file, it asked where it was. I just pointed it to the same location (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and had it make a new one. That seemed to make it stick. It seems unhappy in having to deal with existing xorg files.
    Code:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good find BuzzSaw. Removing the file causes a save-popup instead of a segfault, but it still won't let me save (opening with sudo of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

These issues are covered in this preexisting Launchpad bug report.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bender2k14 View Post
    Good find BuzzSaw. Removing the file causes a save-popup instead of a segfault, but it still won't let me save (opening with sudo of course).
    It appears to not let you save, but I checked, and mine actually did generate an xorg.conf file. Check it out.
    Code:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bender2k14 View Post
    These issues are covered in this preexisting Launchpad bug report.
    Thank You for the link. For some reason the screen doesn't resize correctly even after a reboot. So I'm going to start from the beginning.

Beans

After several reboots and uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia 177 driver I'm still having the same problem. It just won't resize correctly, I attached a screenshot the corners are cut off and it's like that for all windows. But for some reason in the screenshot it comes up correctly. Short of reinstall I don't know what else to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m_l17; October 31st, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast