Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Fixing XP partition from Ubuntu

Beans

[SOLVED] Fixing XP partition from Ubuntu

Hi guys

I'm running Hardy and Windows XP (SP2) on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Today my computer crashed spectacularly (while I was playing Armagetron) and now my XP partition seems to be screwed.

GRUB still works. I can boot Ubuntu. When I try to boot XP I get the Windows error menu (i.e. safe mode, safe mode with networking, last safe configuration, boot normally) but no matter which I choose the result is more or less the same: the windows logo appears briefly, then the BSoD flashes and my laptop resets.

If I choose safe mode, the list of loaded files appears up to a certain point and then stops (at MUP.ini I think). I'm offered the choice to press Esc and skip the loading of a certain file, but whether I do or don't press Esc the laptop resets either immediately or after a pause.

Choosing to load the factory pre-installed recovery OS (Vista) from GRUB gives me a "Device Not Detected" message and a restart.

Here are the results of fdisk -l

Code:
    patrick@Patrick:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for patrick: 

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x90000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1           19131       19458     2620416    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda2   *          13        1317    10482412+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3            1318        5173    30973320    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4            5174       19458   114736839+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda5           19131       19458     2620416   dd  Unknown
    /dev/sda6            5174       18558   107514949+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda7           18559       19130     4594558+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    I would like to fix the XP partition without in any way compromising GRUB or my Ubuntu installation. As a last resort I wouldn't be too worried about having to reformat the XP partition and reinstall from scratch, as long as Ubuntu remains unaffected. Can anyone help? I would be hugely appreciative.

Beans

Re: Fixing XP partition from Ubuntu

I am screwed, aren't I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Lao_Tzu View Post
    I am screwed, aren't I?
    don't worry! all is not lost. could you post the output of:

Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    also, can you access the windows partition from ubuntu? does it mount automatically?

Beans

Do you have a Windows Install CD? I think your first step should be to run a chkdsk on your Windows XP partition. If you have the Windows Install CD, boot it, and in the first main menu press "r" to get the recovery console, and then do:
    Code:
    map
    That will show your Windows XP partition drive letter, so then do:
    Code:
    chkdsk /r <drive letter>
    If you don't have a Windows XP Install CD, you can download a Windows XP Recovery CD from here. But it's quite likely that a simple "chkdsk" is not going to be enough to fix your Windows, and you will probably have to do a "Windows Repair" from a Windows Install CD.

Beans

Thanks very much! Will report back in two hours ish.

Beans

Thanks guys.

tangibleorange,

The results of
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    are attached as menu.txt. I hope it's illuminating!

And yes, the Windows partition does mount automatically in Ubuntu and I can access the files.

caljohnsmith,

That sounds like a plan. But in the name of caution (uber alles), I want to check that those actions won't compromise the GRUB or the Ubuntu partition at all... right? I don't have an Ubuntu live CD available at the moment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lao_Tzu View Post
    That sounds like a plan. But in the name of caution (uber alles), I want to check that those actions won't compromise the GRUB or the Ubuntu partition at all... right? I don't have an Ubuntu live CD available at the moment.
    No, your Ubuntu and Grub should be just fine. By the way, you never mentioned, but do you have your Windows Install CD?

Beans

Yes, I do. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
    Last edited by Lao_Tzu; October 2nd, 2008 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Okay, caljohnsmith, I tried using the Windows Install CD and the method you mentioned. I booted from the CD and went through the process (refrained from pressing F6 for a RAID driver, and refrained from pressing F2 to run automated system recovery). It did various things like loading the Kernel Debugger DLL and so forth, but when it got to "... is starting Windows" it came up with a Blue Screen of Death.

So I didn't even get to the first main menu where I could have pressed "r" for recovery. Problemos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

what does the BSOD say? i know it probably won't be very illuminating but you never know...
    are you still wanting to boot to Vista recovery? i think i know why that isn't working - try changing line 199 of your /boot/grub/menu.lst to read this:

Code:
    root		(hd0,0)
    then try booting what it claims is XP embedded. that might boot the vista recovery program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast