Thread: [SOLVED] Best way to install R?

Beans

[SOLVED] Best way to install R?

OK... As a total newbie, I'm wondering what's the easiest way to install the latest version of R?

I'm completely confused. I've started the directions in the community help docs on compiling from a tarball, but it feels kind of treacherous for a new-to-linux person like me.

Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans

Re: Best way to install R?

Do you need the absolute latest and greatest R? If not, you can just install r-base from the package manager.

If you really want the latest and greatest, some nice step-by-step instructions are here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just added my local CRAN mirror to my sources.list, and used apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic to pull it over. The versions there are recent enough for me.

This link should help you out:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-...ies-for-R_003f
    Last edited by DrOlaf; September 25th, 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added the link
    Ubuntu? Eranu!

Beans

Got it... Dug a little bit deeper on http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ and followed the directions. Turned out to be less of a problem than I thought.
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    Got it... Dug a little bit deeper on http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ and followed the directions. Turned out to be less of a problem than I thought.
    Did you get the gpg key to work?

Mine is still unverified.
    Earlycj5

Beans

I think I did it a bit out of order. I installed the packages anyway when I got the warning that the download was unverified. I later noticed the key recommendations and used the terminal to install the key. It shows up, but I've no idea if it is verified or not.

That'll teach me to not read the entire set of directions before proceeding...

How do I check to see if the key is verified?

Quote Originally Posted by earlycj5 View Post
    Did you get the gpg key to work?

Mine is still unverified.
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle