Thread: Secure Erase (wipe) of Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Secure Erase (wipe) of Files

Hallo

Having recently migrated from Windows to Ubuntu, I wanted to install a program equivalent to Erase which allows one to securely wipe files using the context menu. I have searched the normal Ubuntu repositories (Applications -> Add/remove). Searching with keywords Erase, Wipe, Nuke etc did not bring any hits.

Does anyone know if there is a Linux equivalent and if so would be so kind as to supply a link.

Thanks in advance
    Kind regards Euphorion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Secure Erase (wipe) of Files

Two that come to mind are 'Shred' and 'SRM'. Shred I believe is installed by default and SRM (SecureReMove) needs to be installed via Synaptic, apt-get or aptitude.

Beans

This comes up all the time.

The problem is that secure erase of data from a hard disk doesn't actually work. It doesn't work on Windows either. However, if it will make you feel better when you run shred, go ahead...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That's true. It's extremely difficult if not impossible to make data non-recoverable if the 'right' people want to get at it.

I've heard that when the Inland Revenue want to dispose of hard drives securely they have them put in a furnace.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 289Shelby View Post
    That's true. It's extremely difficult if not impossible to make data non-recoverable if the 'right' people want to get at it.

I've heard that when the Inland Revenue want to dispose of hard drives securely they have them put in a furnace.
    Even ashes can be re-assembled with the right tools.

/sarcasm

shred will do the job just fine for what you want to do. Let's say for instance you want to shred everything in a directory called foo.
    Code:
    shred -uvz foo/*
    Of course, have a peek at the manpage.
    good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hallo to all who answered.

Thank you very much for your contributions. For my purposes Shred or SRM will do nicely. I just want to keep the inquisitive user at bay, so that they can't read deleted files containing personal information.

Thanks
    Kind regards Euphorion

Beans

If you look around in the forums (sorry I don't ahave the reference handy) you will find how to recover files that were deleted with shred and srm. The point is that when you overwrite a file you don't actually write over the same sector. This is to prevent a system failure to wreck important data. However it renderes those wiping program useless. There is only two way to achieve what you want.

Shred or srm the whole partition
    create a file that will use all the free space and then shred that file (for the less paranoid who consider one pass to be enought just create a file with /dev/random as input and erase it)

The most conveniant way to keep the inquisitive user at bay is to use encryption. You can create a fully encrypted system with the alternate cd.