Thread: scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

Hi,
    After I upgraded to Hardy, it seems that scp and rsync no longer transfer files properly. Scp stalls somewhere after 2000KB, and rsync stalls after a few files, I haven't determined the limit. The issue could be fixed from my workplace's environment by a reduced --bwlimit with rsync, but from another location I cannot transfer files reliably either to, or from, my Hardy desktop, when the other end is also a Hardy computer.

I am seeing this:
    Code:
    $ scp gdm-themes.tar.gz drache:dev/.
    gdm-themes.tar.gz                              28% 2112KB   1.7MB/s   00:03 ETA
    gdm-themes.tar.gz                              33% 2448KB   0.0KB/s - stalled -
    I read about a workaround by setting a lower MTU on the interface in question, but it did not help.
    I also tried playing around with the MTU values using:
    sudo ping -f -v -c 10 -s somenumber target.host.name
    and it appeared I get packet loss (20-30%) on all mtu values, except values exceeding 3000 (which does not make sense since I can't set that on my wireless interface, 2200 seems to be the maximum).

Further research into this has yielded no positive results. I went and downloaded the newest OpenSSH 5.1, compiled and installed it, to no avail; transfers from this computer still stall. I am fairly certain it is not the ssh. This occurs on both of my Ubuntu 8.04 machines: My 64-bit desktop, which is using the 8139too network module for an RTL network card, and my laptop, which uses atheros-based wireless.

My desktop had wondershaper installed. I removed it to see if that was causing the problem, but the problem remains.

Has anyone else run into this? any other workarounds?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Vermind; September 16th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added extra information
    Vermind