Thread: where the heck is compiz config file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

where the heck is compiz config file?

I'm going to try once more enabling desktop-effects, see if I can run it on my integrated nvidia...I was able to in the past only once, briefly, after a fresh install of Feisty, it was sluggish but at least I know it's possible on my specs...I was thinking that maybe if I lower the refresh rate and crank up the frambuffer memory it might work a little better.

Problem: if it locks up, how can I disable it from the command line? Which file and where?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: where the heck is compiz config file?

First of all, install the configuration tool which lets you customize animations and everything to your hearts content.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Then, you can find that in System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Now, there are two ways to turn compiz on and off.

GUI
    Right click on desktop. Select Change Desktop Background. Select the visual effects tab and you're there. Only problem is that when you use the GUI, you're going to get the default settings. To customize, just choose any on setting in the gui then use the configuration thing you just installed.

CLI
    To turn compiz on via the command line, use this
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    To turn it off, use this
    Code:
    metacity --replace

Hope that helps
    check out linuxmce! It's the future of home media centers. It is flat out the most amazing piece of linux software I've ever seen.

http://www.linuxmce.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: where the heck is compiz config file?

I already have compiz-settings-manager

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    Now, there are two ways to turn compiz on and off.

GUI
    Right click on desktop. Select Change Desktop Background. Select the visual effects tab and you're there. Only problem is that when you use the GUI, you're going to get the default settings. To customize, just choose any on setting in the gui then use the configuration thing you just installed.

CLI
    To turn compiz on via the command line, use this
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    To turn it off, use this
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    Hope that helps
    Yeah I hope it works. Because if the desktop is all wonky the CLI's my only way of disabling effects