Thread: Only works in Safe Graphics Mode (Intel G33)

Beans

Only works in Safe Graphics Mode (Intel G33)

ok so there is this thread here..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=G33

but it didnt help my cause..

to begin with.. i just put together a system comprised of

Core 2 Duo 7200
    2GB DDR2 8500
    250 GB HD
    All in one board (graphics is Intel G33)
    Kubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

Basically .. ive installed this thing atleast 7 times over now.. what's happening is that when I install in Normal mode.. it installs just fine.. no graphics problems or anything.. however once it gets to the login screen and i login.. thats when everything changes.. the mouse pointer becomes atleast 4 times the size.. the taskbar at the bottom seems fine.. but clicking on the menu icon or anything else results in an oversized window with fond that is like 200pt .. you cant even see the menu choices or anything..

When I install in Safe Graphics Mode.. the graphics look just fine.. but its using the vesa driver.. so when I attempted to switch it over using the instructions here http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html (starting with instruction 5) .. then restart the X server.. it goes back to the EXACT same results as installing from Normal mode..

about the only thing I can think of now is to rebuild the driver.. but this is not making any sense to me.. maybe someone has seen this or knows how to fix this.. its kind of rediculous really..

thanks

Jesse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Only works in Safe Graphics Mode (Intel G33)

Try the guide here from the community wiki.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phidia View Post
    Try the guide here from the community wiki.
    thanks for the link.. however this has not helped me..

I ran the command
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

and this didnt ask me any questions at all..simply stated it overwrote a configuration file and that was that.. i looked at the xorg.conf and well it was your basic 8.04 config file once again using the vesa driver..

lspci | grep VGA

returns that i have a 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics ..

I did a search and it seems there are numerous people having problems specifically related to this

it may even be blacklisted in some config file or something?

in any case i think i may be stuck buying a new video card which i really dont want to do..

does anyone know more about this.. and if building the driver from scratch would fix this?

J

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't run the dpkg command with the phigh option and you will get to make the selections yourself.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    You will need to know your video card and monitor specs though.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Don't run the dpkg command with the phigh option and you will get to make the selections yourself.
    Thanks ill give that a try when i get home today..

Beans

Well I tried this out.. but apparently the only thing important enough to ask questions about is my keyboard.. seriously.

This is actually incredible.. i really cant believe its this difficult to get something that should be reasonably simple working..

I even selected the exact monitor as it was coming up as PlugNPlay .. so I specifically chose the monitor I have.. a Sony Multiscan 20se .. and when I restarted.. it went straight to the console.. rediculous..

sorry for the rant.. but its frustrating especially when you had some high hopes .. i built the system specifically for ubuntu.. i guess I should have built something with a lot more obsolete hardware.. either that or im stuck waiting for some major updates..

I will try building the video driver.. but i doubt it will work.. i even tried the 915resolution package.. but ive read its for the i810 driver.. which again takes me straight to the console .. the intel driver works.. the resolution is just rediculous.. i cant even check to see what resolution its giving me because everything is absolutely huge.. cant even take screen caps or anything.. the mouse pointer becomes like 6x the size.. im sure it has to do with the resolultion.. but the taskbar itself seems just fine even the icons in the task bar are fine.. but when you click on anything.. or even right click on the desktop.. the resolution is so bad that the entire screen is filled with like the bottom corner of whatever window pops up..

is there anyway i can set the resolution of the monitor in the xorg.conf file? id like to set it to 640x480 at least maybe it will help.. and just exactly how do i use the 915resolution package? i still think it might at least help a little..

J