Thread: Recommended wireless USB adapters?

Beans

Recommended wireless USB adapters?

Hi *,

i look for an wireless USB adapter which just works. That means:

* USB2.0, 802.11b/g (not 802.11n), WEP/WPA/WPA2,
    * works with the packages network-manager, wpasupplicant and kismet of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS hardy heron
    * in all possible standard compliant wireless setups (WEP, TKIP, CCMP/AES, WPA-PSK, WPA Enterprise/802.1x, WPA2/802.11i, ...)
    * with packages from main/restricted/universe/multiverse only, no 3rd party repo needed
    * without ndiswrapper(!)
    * no recompiling needed

Can you recommend some hardware? nil0z.

Beans

Re: Recommended wireless USB adapters?

I'd also like to know where to find a list of compatible wireless adapters? Anyone?

Beans

All things wireless and then some more Both links cover hardware that works and hardware that does not work with Ubuntu, I am sure you can navigate to the sections concerned with USB adapters.
    Last edited by tubbygweilo; June 5th, 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

I'm not doing everything you are doing, but I have a wireless network setup at home with 802.11b/g and WPA security. The wireless USB adapter is an Ativa Wireless G, the wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G2. I also use a D-Link DPR-1260 wireless print server. All worked out of the box, but I did have to address the print server using TCP/IP. Bought all of it at Office Depot. I'm running 64-bit 8.04. Just upgraded kernel to -17 generic with no issues.