Thread: Slow File transfers

Beans

Cool Slow File transfers

This happens when I try to copy a large 500-700MB file to an external USB device or to my SD card in the slot.
    I have a Sansa e250 and the same happens regardless of whether the MicroSD is in the player or the slot, I get a constantly decreasing file transfer rate. The transfer will start off at around 8MB/s then drop to 4,3,2,1 and then keeps slowly dropping.
    This happens while using my USB drive as well but to a lesser extent. This is not a hardware problem because I can get upto 8-10MB/s on my SD and ~15MB/s on my USB in Windows (In Ubuntu the USB is only around 2-3MB/s).

Please help!
    Crash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Slow File transfers

When it starts to slow down, do you have a lot of disk activity still or does it drop off with the rate?
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

Beans

It drops off with the rate.

Beans

I've had this problem since the 8.04 beta. Try to copy a large file, it starts off at the correct speed for the device, then slows down to sub 1 mb/s speeds. I've found that the best way to live with this is to copy files one at a time, and unmount the device between each one.

Here's the bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/197762