Thread: ? use pen drive to download email

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question ? use pen drive to download email

having internet access at work, but not at home, is there a way to use my pen drive for email to save me the trouble of lugging my home computer to work. (No, my home computer's not a laptop!)

the idea is to have the local folders symbolically linked to the pen drive. thus, whatever would normally be sent to the outbox on the home box would end up on the pen drive.

the work box would send the mail on the pen drive and download new emails to the pen drive, through a similar symbolic link. back at home, the new emails would be added to a hard drive inbox and then wiped from the pen drive.

the main questions to me are which email program to use and where that program's "local folders" are located. i have trawled the net and examined evolution looking for answers. can anybody help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: ? use pen drive to download email

Quote Originally Posted by blesbok View Post
    having internet access at work, but not at home, is there a way to use my pen drive for email to save me the trouble of lugging my home computer to work. (No, my home computer's not a laptop!)

the idea is to have the local folders symbolically linked to the pen drive. thus, whatever would normally be sent to the outbox on the home box would end up on the pen drive.

the work box would send the mail on the pen drive and download new emails to the pen drive, through a similar symbolic link. back at home, the new emails would be added to a hard drive inbox and then wiped from the pen drive.

the main questions to me are which email program to use and where that program's "local folders" are located. i have trawled the net and examined evolution looking for answers. can anybody help?
    Try Portable Apps: http://portableapps.com/

Use Thunderbird on the pen.

regards quibbler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: ? use pen drive to download email

thanks quibbler i had a look there and it's got potential. pity it needs wine...
    Last edited by blesbok; May 12th, 2008 at 01:12 PM.