Thread: [SOLVED] Installing new Graphics card

Beans

[SOLVED] Installing new Graphics card

I have decided to purchase a new graphics card to replace this ATI Radeon. My question is this... I'm not a computer gooroo, so bare with me here. What all do I need to do in order to ensure that the new one is going to work with ubuntu. It's being replaced with an Nvidia GEFORCE 7600. Am I gonna have problems when I take out the ATI and replace it with the Nvidia, or is it all plug and play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing new Graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by indiana_crook View Post
    I have decided to purchase a new graphics card to replace this ATI Radeon. My question is this... I'm not a computer gooroo, so bare with me here. What all do I need to do in order to ensure that the new one is going to work with ubuntu. It's being replaced with an Nvidia GEFORCE 7600. Am I gonna have problems when I take out the ATI and replace it with the Nvidia, or is it all plug and play?
    Hi and when you are ready to install the graphics card you will need to uninstall the ati drivers. Then I would suggest you look at Envy for the installation of the new card.
    http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    When you boot the system with the new card you will likely see the blue screen xorg failure. Then you can reconfigure your xorg and reboot then use Envy to help with the drivers. What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Beans

I'm using Hardy

Beans

Yep try what overdrank suggested, I've recently had to replace a number of vid cards on my machines, when you install a new card it will most likely fail and go to blue screen, if it does, reboot your system and when at grub choose the recovery mode which will boot you into root, then just do:

Code:
     dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    what I usually do is change the name of the vid card and leave the rest of the options on default, and only worry about everything else once I know the xorg is fine and I can boot into x.
    Last edited by ibr3ak; May 8th, 2008 at 06:11 AM.

Beans

I just put the new card in the computer, and ubuntu did the rest for the most part. I had to reconfigure xorg, and after that I got the dreaded white screen after log in, but after I fixed all that, The drivers installed themselves. Good job Ubuntu!!!