Thread: Network and wireless problems on my compaq presario 2100

Beans

Network and wireless problems on my compaq presario 2100

So I got an old compaq laptop from a friend and decided to intall ubuntu on it. This will be my first ubuntu laptop and I am having some network troubles. I can't seem to connect to my wireless network. It doesn't even show an option to. When I plug in an ethernet cable to do wired internet, it asks for network name and eap method and a bunch of other things including encryption key, which is strange I think for a wired network. I have never had to enter one when wired before and my wep is not the key I need. Now I also have a desktop with ubuntu and when I installed ubuntu my wired connection worked right away with no tweaking.
    Last edited by jimjesus; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Network and wireless problems on my compaq presario 2100

Quote Originally Posted by jimjesus View Post
    So I got an old compaq laptop from a friend and decided to intall ubuntu on it. This will be my first ubuntu laptop and I am having some network troubles. I can't seem to connect to my wireless network. It doesn't even show an option to. When I plug in an ethernet cable to do wired internet, it asks for network name and eap method and a bunch of other things including encryption key, which is strange I think for a wired network. I have never had to enter one when wired before and my wep is not the key I need. Now I also have a desktop with ubuntu and when I installed ubuntu my wired connection worked right away with no tweaking.
    This is most common problem with network manager, use WICD manager.

Beans

Re: Network and wireless problems on my compaq presario 2100

And how exactly can I get wicd manager? Does it come on there standard? Because I can't download it if I can't get online.