Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slow wireless on 8.04

Beans

slow wireless on 8.04

Why is my wireless slow on 8.04? It has always worked good on Ubuntu. I have a linksys wireless on this desktop. My wireless on a HP laptop works good on ubuntu 8.04.

It's a (Linksys) Ralink RT 2500 G 802.11 and the same computer on windows partition and 7.04 partition it works well.

My Linksys wireless usb netwerk works wel on 8.04 (the one now in use to send this message)
    Last edited by corneel; April 26th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

Beans

Re: slow wireless on 8.04

I'd like to add that I'm having the exact same problem. I upgraded to 8.04 (fresh install, actually) and my RT2500 is very slow. (~10k/sec). My network quality thing is always at about 40%, whereas it used to be around 100% (the location of my machine and router have not changed, of course).

-- John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello

I had the same problem. That's because the bit rate is set to 1 Mb/s

Type iwconfig. If you see in your wireless interface Bit Rate 1 Mb/s type sudo iwconfig xxxxxx rate 54M

xxxxxx should be the name of your wireless interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by macafyc View Post
    Hello

I had the same problem. That's because the bit rate is set to 1 Mb/s

Type iwconfig. If you see in your wireless interface Bit Rate 1 Mb/s type sudo iwconfig xxxxxx rate 54M

xxxxxx should be the name of your wireless interface
    Same issue here, RT2500 chipset network adapter. Above fix seems to work for me, but network manager is still reporting my signal fluctuating wildly. Used to get 74% signal, now drops into the 30s, then shoots back up again.

Gutsy had no problems whatsoever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was getting the same slow problem, the fix seemed to help that, but I use to have a 80%-90% signal strength, now I am bouncing between 30% and 60%.
    Acer Aspire 7741Z-5731

Beans

Same problem here - RT2500 based Linksys router. Very slow, reports a 1mb/s connection, and a weak signal - pre update I had a 100% signal. PC and router are inches apart! I'll try the iwconfig fix and report back later (typing this on a Mac at the moment, from a different location).

Beans

OK, it kind of works....

I entered the iwconfig commands and although it still showed the connection as 1mb/s it ran at it's normal high speed pace. Looked like problem solved.

But, when I rebooted, it went back to the very, very slow pace. Re-entering the iwconfig commands speeded it up again.

Is there a way to make the change permanent so I don't have to enter the iwconfig commands after every reboot?

Beans

Yep, changing the rate to 54M fixed it. Thanks!

Beans

Hello,

i have the same Problem, but your Solution doesn't work.

For have 54M from beginning you can add pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M in /etc/network/interfaces and then restart your wireless by sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart. Then your wireless should work from beginning with full speed.

Do you use WPA or WEP? I only can use this solution with WEP. With WPA it doesn't work.

There is also a bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/134660

greets
    linuxpower

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpower View Post
    Hello,

i have the same Problem, but your Solution doesn't work.

For have 54M from beginning you can add pre-up iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M in /etc/network/interfaces and then restart your wireless by sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart. Then your wireless should work from beginning with full speed.

Do you use WPA or WEP? I only can use this solution with WEP. With WPA it doesn't work.

There is also a bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/134660

greets
    linuxpower

Thanks! This worked a lot better, it actually slightly boosted my signal strength.
    Though the signal strength is still bouncing up and down, it now goes from 55% up to 85% instead of 30% to 60%.

Hopefully there is a fix for that soon.

Thanks again!
    Acer Aspire 7741Z-5731

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast