Thread: Slightly Off-Topic: my OLPC XO-1 came last week

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Slightly Off-Topic: my OLPC XO-1 came last week

It arrived! Okay, I didn't TELL anyone I was getting one...

First two thoughts: I'm going to have quite a time typing on that...Wow, the screen is incredible.

It's the only one I've seen in the flesh/plastic. I'm sure there are more, but I haven't met any other owners, and I haven't had any success connecting to anyone else.

(I'm sorry I couldn't make last week's in-person meeting, I would have brought it with.)

Chris / Aptenix: I haven't applied for my developer key yet, but if you want to test Ubuntu on it I would be willing to give it a shot once the key arrives.

I will have it at the next in-person meeting if you'd like to take a closer look at this. I've had a lot of fun explaining. Most people seem to think it's a toy, until they realize that it is in fact a full-fledged laptop.

Some pictures here, apologies for facebook album. It is public, so you do not need to sign up.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&id=600717106

Beans

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: my OLPC XO-1 came last week

Yes indeed it is a full fledged laptop but??

First I live in an area with no free wi-fi. Big problem. Eventually found a USB-LAN adapter which allows it to talk to my DSL router-modem. Solved the connection problem.

It is loaded with kiddie stuff and getting rid of that is essential. Second no proper browser. Anybody know how to load Firefox??

But it is a very clever machine and should be a great once I solve a few of the small problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The kiddie stuff is quite fine, actually. I haven't found a need to remove it.

Firefox is the browse activity, just stripped down. You want tabbed browsing? Open two copies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Benanov View Post
    The kiddie stuff is quite fine, actually. I haven't found a need to remove it.

Firefox is the browse activity, just stripped down. You want tabbed browsing? Open two copies.
    I threw mine out. CRAP !