Thread: I screwed up my display settings...

Beans

I screwed up my display settings...

Now, when Gnome opens up, all I get are scattered horizontal lines...almost looks like the cable went out on my TV. Is there a way to boot Gnome into some sort of safe-mode so I can reset the display settings back to something I know will work?

Thanks,
    Dennis (total Linux/Gnome Newb)

Re: I screwed up my display settings...

Assuming we're talking about Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) here, if you select recovery mode from the GRUB boot menu you will get to a recovery menu with an xfix option.

See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804
    A new X windows recovery feature is available. If you are unable to boot after attempting changes, you can reboot, choose the restore option in the boot menu, and then select the 'xfix Try to fix X server' option on the Recovery Menu. This should restore your X windows configuration to a usable condition and allow you to boot normally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dloyer4 View Post
    Now, when Gnome opens up, all I get are scattered horizontal lines...almost looks like the cable went out on my TV. Is there a way to boot Gnome into some sort of safe-mode so I can reset the display settings back to something I know will work?

Thanks,
    Dennis (total Linux/Gnome Newb)
    Hi and welcome, when you reach the login screen use the keys ctrl, alt, F1 all at the same time and this will bring you to the command line. Login with user name and password and then enter this command
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    and answer a few questions and when complete use the command to reboot
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Hope this helps and good luck!

Beans

ALL RIGHT!! Got it working properly again...sorta. The display is still having problems, but they're the same problems it was having when I screwed it up, so it's usable at least

Thanks,
    Dennis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dloyer4 View Post
    ALL RIGHT!! Got it working properly again...sorta. The display is still having problems, but they're the same problems it was having when I screwed it up, so it's usable at least

Thanks,
    Dennis
    Ok what version of Ubuntu are you using, Feisty, Gusty? what is the model of the graphics card? This issue you have are vertical lines on the desktop?
    Also could you post what fix worked for you as I just learned of the
    Code:
    sudo xfix
    Last edited by overdrank; April 25th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.