Thread: VMWare server catch 22

Beans

VMWare server catch 22

Hey there, I'm having a problem booting my XP raw partition from within VMWARE server. When I open the VM and boot the VM I am able to select my XP partition in grub but as soon as XP boots my mouse and keyboard do not function. I think that VMWare tools will fix this but I am unable to get into windows because it asks for product activation before the windows shell starts. I have searched the forums and have found solutions to each of the problems but, in this case, I can't install VMWare tools because I can't activate and I can't activate because I can't install VMWare tools... Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: VMWare server catch 22

Make the Windows ISO bootable disk from the ISO in the VMware directory. Once XP boots, go to Tools > Install VMware tools. Without the disk in the drive, it will sit there and do nothing forever. I think you have to restart the VMware Server and should be good after that. I can't remember where those ISO's are stored, google it or my guess is the .var folder..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You'll find the ISO images in /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure I understand what you mean though. I am still new to linux, I've been running it for only about a month now. I found the ISO in the /usr/lib/vmware-server/isoimages directory and burned it to a disk but it doesn't boot. I also mounted the ISO to the virtual cd-rom drive and still no luck. I have tried installing VMWare tools with the CD or ISO mounted and it still sits there and does nothing. I have tried restarting vmware and no luck there. I'm at a complete loss here