Thread: [SOLVED] VMware Server -- install XP from .iso?

Beans

[SOLVED] VMware Server -- install XP from .iso?

virtualbox allows you to install from a disk image. can you do that in vmware? for some reason, when I try to install from my xp disk in vmware, it takes hours to do what should take 30 minutes. No idea why...

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VMware Server -- install XP from .iso?

I'm not sure what you mean by .iso install... you can have an .iso disk to install things in vmware, but I'm not sure if you can do it with Windows.

I used by Microsoft install disk and it took the normal about of time as if I was installing into a regular partition.

Does this help:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...sy-gibbon.html

So many things to take into consideration.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

i was asking if I'm install vmware server on gutsy and want to install xp into vmware, can I tell vmware to install off of an xp.iso or can I only do it from my actual xp disc? I tried to do it from my disc but it was excruciatingly slow...

regarding that link... I looked at it... when i install vmware server, I didn't do any of that terminal stuff... I just downloaded the latest version from synaptic (which is the latest stable version from the vmware website). Not sure why that guy said to do it via the terminal and compiling the version from source...

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Most folks have installed from their xp disk from MS.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i've installed windows off an .iso ... as long as the .iso doesn't have any issues, like it isn't bootable, it should be fine ... i've done it 2 or 3 times w/ vmware server ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans

scxtt,

could you tell me how you do that in vmware server? it was easy to see in vbox, but i can only see how to boot/install from an actual cd in vmware...

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

edit the vm's cd-rom settings to look like this (just use browse to find the .iso file after you've created a basic VM, w/ no OS yet):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans

exactly what I needed -- thanks!!!