Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio... Let's talk about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

PulseAudio... Let's talk about it.

Looks like next version of Fedora will include Pulse audio as a default audio server.

I think it's gonna be the real revolution in Linux. Something I've been waiting for a long time now... I always had problems in this particular area... Like, when using Audacious, PIdgin sounds don't play, etc... I could never use the real full duplex at all... Not even mixing ALSA & OSS..

Hope that PulseAudio will fix that.

But the very important news in here is that with PulseAudio is going to be possible to adjust the volume of any single application independently and redirect that audio to any sound card (even USB headphones) that's going to be awesome... Using Ekiga with USB headphones, listening music to the normal speakers... Or adjust a youtube video volume without changing the general volume..

Here, the news:
    http://www.genbeta.com/2007/10/31-pu...audio-en-linux

Will herdy include this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: PulseAudio... Let's talk about it.

Its possible to install PulseAudio in Gutsy also

Just do:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-esound-compat

I dont use it myself, so I dont know if it needs any tweeking
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

to install pulseaudio 0.9.6 in Gutsy:
    Code:
    sudo apitude install pulseaudio libao-pulse libgstreamer-plugins-pulse0.10-0 libpulse0 libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 padevchooser paman paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-lirc pulseaudio-module-X11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-utils
    then tell ALSA that you wish to use pulseaudio:
    Code:
    asoundconf set-pulseaudio
    After that, I had to reboot. Once I did that, PA was working.

Most apps will require no further tweaking to work.

There are some exceptions though. PulseAudio's wiki has a good page for getting Flash 9 to work located here. If you have any problems with any other programs, a good place to find solutions is on PulseAudio's "PerfectSetup" wiki page. Xine-based programs may be tricky, and Audacity doesn't work at all. To get MPD working, read the final post on this thread.

The PulseAudio programs that might interest you are paprefs, paman, padevchooser and pavucontrol. they are located Applications >> Sound & Video.

----------------

My understanding is that Phonon (for KDE) plays a similar role to pulseaudio in that DE. What I wanna know is if the two will be able to communicate. When KDE4 comes out, will I be able to use PulseAudio on my computer to communicate with Phonon on my roommate's computer?
    Last edited by groggyboy; December 15th, 2007 at 05:00 AM.
    last.fm: the social music revolution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

if i install pulseaudio, will i have to do edit every single program that has sound and tell it that i want to use pulseaudio instead of ALSA?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey I installed pulseaudio in my gutsy about 3 weeks ago since I had some sound problemsn with the default settings for ubuntu. With pulseaudio almost everything works perfect for me: flash sound, media players, sytem sounds, etc. But there are two applications that i can't make work: last.fm and skype, it's impossible, i've tried everything... any idea? is there a way to switch back to the other sound server (ESD i think) temporarily just to use these applications? Thanks guys.

Beans

Never heard of PulseAudio before and it sounds like a fantastic program. It has to be able to handle usual applications like Skype and Last.fm (web streaming) to be really successful though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leovalles View Post
    Hey I installed pulseaudio in my gutsy about 3 weeks ago since I had some sound problemsn with the default settings for ubuntu. With pulseaudio almost everything works perfect for me: flash sound, media players, sytem sounds, etc. But there are two applications that i can't make work: last.fm and skype, it's impossible, i've tried everything... any idea? is there a way to switch back to the other sound server (ESD i think) temporarily just to use these applications? Thanks guys.
    I would check with the Fedora folk and see if they have had trouble with it (either their forums or mailing lists, or even bugzilla). If the problem is with a limitation of pulseaudio they could confirm, but if the problem is a configuration one, perhaps since pulseaudio is default there it is configured properly. Its worth a shot at least.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

PulseAudio is long overdue imho, they just need to sort that latency out... Then I can route my FreeBoB JACK through it and ditch my onboard audio!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well i just managed to get skype to work correctly, just adding a default alsa-sink device to the /etc/pulse/default.pa. Now i'm able to make calls through it! Last.fm still not working, it says something like alsa audio system doesn't exist and there's no option to choose other than alsa in preferences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've been using PulseAudio for a while, and it's fantastic. Took care of my problem with Flash locking other software out of the soundcard until I rebooted. Plus there are lots of nice features... like using network audio devices to beam my music from my laptop to another computer that's connected to a stereo.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast