Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEFCON strategy/war game now in repo

Beans

DEFCON strategy/war game now in repo

Hi all

Just thought I should draw your attention to a post on the Introversion forums - someone has created Ubuntu packages for Defcon and put them in a shiny new repository. The game is basically a 6-player (max) online version of the Global Thermonuclear War scene from the end of the film War Games, playable at various speeds from real time to 20x real time (the world ends in about 15 minutes).

It takes just a couple of lines in a Terminal to get this game installed, or you can add the repository to your "software sources" of course. The packages are for a playable demo with (limited) online gaming, but the full version is only £10 or £15 ($20-30, EUR14-22) worldwide.

Below are the required commands.

Code:
    echo 'deb http://download.introversion.co.uk/defcon/linux/contrib/ubuntu-feisty/ feisty main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo wget http://download.introversion.co.uk/defcon/linux/contrib/ubuntu-feisty/introversion-packages-slimg-key.gpg -P /tmp

sudo apt-key add /tmp/introversion-packages-slimg-key.gpg

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install defcon
    Read more at http://forums.introversion.co.uk/def...pic.php?t=4981 , and kudos to SlimG for making this possible.

(If you enjoy the game, please consider boosting the number of available non-demo servers by purchasing at www.everyone-dies.com)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb New Defcon package revision in IV repos

I've just updated the defcon package so the vector icon should work on Gnome, it would be nice if someone could report if the defcon icon is viewable after install in Gnome.

Some Defcon Eyecandy/Screenshots:

Ps. Thanks skewer for posting this

Beans

Re: New Defcon package revision in IV repos

Code:
    $ sudo aptitude update
    Get:1 http://download.introversion.co.uk feisty Release.gpg [481B]
    Ign http://download.introversion.co.uk feisty/main Translation-en_US            
    Get:2 http://download.introversion.co.uk feisty Release [1549B]
    ..... other junk .....
    $ sudo aptitude install defcon
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information      
    Initializing package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done      
    Couldn't find any package matching "defcon".  However, the following
    packages contain "defcon" in their description:
      cl-plus
    Must be because I'm running 64-bit. I'll use the loki installer.
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Defcon is currently only available for x86 (32-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
    Must be because I'm running 64-bit. I'll use the loki installer.
    I should've made it more clear that Defcon is only compiled for x86 (32-bit) systems, sorry!
    I've already asked if they could compile it to amd64 (64-bit), but they didn't have the capacity to alter the code for amd64 (64-bit) atm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: DEFCON strategy/war game now in repo

I never knew defcon was free. It was one of those game that killed tonnes of time on my laptop when I had free time.

Beans

It's not free, but the demo is very feature-rich.

The full version lets you host games up to 6 players & customise all kinds of gameplay options, whilst the demo lets you host 2 player default-settings online wars.

However, demo users can still join 6-player games hosted by someone who has bought the game, but only 1 demo user can join each of these servers.

Overall there's a lot of fun to be had with 2 players, and the option to join bigger/custom games is a good taster of what the £10 would get you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's a good game. Makes you want to get a massive projector screen in your basement and a boardroom table.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by slimg View Post
    I've just updated the defcon package so the vector icon should work on Gnome, it would be nice if someone could report if the defcon icon is viewable after install in Gnome.

Some Defcon Eyecandy/Screenshots:

Ps. Thanks skewer for posting this
    i just get a generic icon in the menus.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

The .run doesn't work for 64-bit it just gives errors. The defcon tar.gz works perfectly, I didn't even need to install or download any libraries since they came in the /libraries directory. I already have an extremely large amount of i386 libraries installed from getlibs so it may be that too.
    I played the game for about an hour, I like it so far. I kind of wish there was a faster mode for waiting, I think I spent about 10 minutes just sitting here on the highest speed setting killing some random enemy cities.
    Last edited by Cappy; July 18th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance

Beans

Okay .. well I take back my statement about the game being too slow. That was just the tutorial.

I just played a few games against the AI for 3 hours and it was awesome. Sweet game and addicting! =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast