First off, I have made this post as a recruitment drive and as I am a moderator of this forum and I'm Irish. I know I could have posted in the cafe or Gamers area, but read on...
I wrote this on my blog:
I got inspiration over this past Easter holidays, being bored, I gave Linux Gaming a shot. I am not much of a gamer myself and most websites aren’t very helpful or have too small a focus (only shootemups, or only certain Linux distros etc.). Inspired by the fine folks at OpenSourceMac.org and OpenSourceWindows.org, I announce my own project: Ultimate Games Disc. UGD is a project I think I can make very successful. My aims are as follows:
So that pretty much sums this project up. It will be organised on Launchpad. The overall aim is to introduce as many people on as many platforms to open source gaming!
- Has to be free, either price and/or freedoms. Huge emphasis placed on Open Source Licenses that conform to the OSI’s free software (and Debians) guidlines.
- Preference on cross platform multiplayer games.
- Each version should contain mostly the same games, with a few exceptions, based on quality.
- There will be three versions, Win, Mac & Linux (Each a DVD-R full)
- Must have brain-dead easy installers (Mostly a non-issue)
- We won’t host any software, just do documentation and folder structure. We then provide a site where people can cherry pick what they want their UGD to contain.
The reason I did not post it on either is that this is not Ubuntu specific, rather cross-platform. My idea of it is that you pick and mix, use the disc, and give it to a friend.
What ye'all think? Any Suggestions? Comments/Critiques?