Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After kernel update no zfs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: After kernel update no zfs

Sure it is? I mean zfs installed on 20.04? I do not remember installing it rather I started using the tools installed.
    @darkod This was a first for me getting a kernel automatically installed. I logged in to the server and it said it needed a restart.

Oh well, I am moving all the data off the zfs array (takes forever....) I will redo the server. If I have the patience to wait for 22.04 (said to come with ZoL 2.x) is still in the clouds...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mattiash View Post
    Sure it is? I mean zfs installed on 20.04? I do not remember installing it rather I started using the tools installed.
    I am about 90% sure. I have installed a lot of 20.04 servers but only with the legacy installer (Debian-based) and not the live installer version (not Debian-based).

I looked over my old thread called Differences between live and legacy and did not see the zfs package installed on either variation.

I usually only install Ubuntu in virtualized platforms (like vmware, nutanix, virtualbox and proxmox) so I'm not sure if the installer behaves differently on a bare metal install with detected RAID arrays and whatnot...in regards to the packages it will install that are different from default.

EDIT:

Related articles:
    ZFS on UbuntuWiki
    ZFS built into Ubuntu 16.04 by default

Everything I am reading says that Ubuntu supports ZFS by default but to manage it, you have to install the utilities.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; December 4th, 2021 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The point few of us are trying to make here, is that there is virtually no chance that 20.04 installed 5.15 for you, if you were using only regular mainline kernels. It is not there yet and it hasn't reached 5.15.

Maybe at some point you started adding new kernels yourself to check some advanced features that didn't exist in the current kernel yet, etc. Or used some packages like earlier ukuu that was making it possible to add newer kernels still not in the general repos for the ubuntu version you are using.

If you had/have something like that, then one thing can lead to another and a kernel update might not cover all zfs modules or what ever that are needed, in the same way that the 5.4 kernel would do.

Take into account that Ubuntu/Canonical didn't test or release 5.15 for 20.04, not as mainline kernel. And also like it was mentioned here, the downside of latest kernels like 5.15 will be that it is still possible to have bugs or not being polished enough so that you can depend that the upgrade will take care for everything for you, like a 5.4 would do...

This is the point I was trying to make. But of course we have no knowledge of your server and how it actually ended up with 5.15 at all. It should be on 5.4 or somewhere there.

PS. I stand corrected by Doug. It should be on 5.11 when using the HWE stack. As I said I am still pending to install 20.04 on my server so I had no clear idea how far the HWE stack will take you.
    Last edited by darkod; December 4th, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with everything LHammonds and darkod have said.

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    But of course we have no knowledge of your server and how it actually ended up with 5.15 at all. It should be on 5.4 or somewhere there.
    If one is using the HWE stack on 20.04, then the kernel version is around 5.11.0-41.

I wonder if you have some kernel PPA added to your sources stuff?

EDIT 1: I am aware of one other poster running the same kernel, Reference - post #9. I wonder if this is some sort of system76 thing.

EDIT 2: I did more searching/reading. POP-OS seems to have gone to kernel 5.15 for LTS 20.04. Odd, as it is too soon for such a thing. Users are having issues. One of many references.
    Last edited by Doug S; December 4th, 2021 at 05:55 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    I don't use ZFS so I am not familiar with it. But I do know that ZFS is not installed by default on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS. That has to be added with "apt install zfsutils-linux"
    This is correct, but ZFS is composed of more parts. Another part of ZFS is the kernel module, which is indeed included in the default Ubuntu kernels, but may not be with mainline kernels - see here (under the section "Provides").

So it makes perfect sense that a custom kernel 5.15 doesn't have the ZFS module by default, even if zfsutils is installed.

As others have said, you must have done something to have kernel 5.15 installed. Either added a PPA, or installed some custom kernel packages, that are now updated. Have you tried loading a standard kernel from the boot menu (5.4.0 or 5.11.0-hwe)?
    Last edited by ameinild; December 4th, 2021 at 06:06 PM.
    Supermicro Server :: Atom C3558 (4) @ 2.2 GHz :: 64 GB ECC DDR4-2400 :: 512 GB NVMe :: 4x 2 TB SSD @ RAID-Z :: 1x Raspberry Pi 4 Server

Scripts: directory-tools | rsync-backup | add-apt-key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How 5.15 got installed I have no clue, I have not added any ppas, This is the heart of my setup everything is dependent that the storage-server is up. I have very careful what I install I check what is about to be installed.
    Problem solved now, back on 5.13, zfs is working and all the datasets is there to use for all the services.

Thanks for all the input!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mattiash View Post
    I had an updates for my Ubuntu server 20.04.3 which is my storage server, with an zfs array. It said that it also was a new kernel (5.15.5-76051505-generic). After the required reboot, the zfs disks are not not mounted. When I try to activate the dkms it says that zfs is not loaded.

How do I solve this?
    I had to press up & down arrow keys while booting to bring up the grub menu then select advanced & then loaded an old kernel.

It's so much fun to reboot and see something like this, run mod probe like it says then exit and still have issues.
    photo_2021-12-05_11-01-06.jpg

I loaded up synaptic and did a search for 5.15.5 found `linux-modules-5.15.5-76051505-generic` then checked the `installed files` tab. After copy & pasting that into an editor so I could do a quick ctrl+f to find zfs. I discovered zfs isn't even listed. While in for `linux-modules-5.13.0-7620-generic` it is.

Removing isn't an option because I kinda need the system76 drivers.
    ```
    sudo apt remove linux-image-5.15.5-76051505-generic
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    linux-generic linux-image-5.15.5-76051505-generic linux-image-generic linux-modules-5.15.5-76051505-generic linux-system76 system76-driver
    system76-driver-nvidia

```

Which brings me to the question is your computer a system76 by chance? Did you install their drivers? If so I think we need to let them know this might be an issue.

It's a little frustrating that I run Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Did you try to regenerate the initramfs?
    `grub-update` didn't help. Once I was able to get into a shell I ran that tried to reboot. Still had to select an old kernel. `5.13.0-7620-generic` to be exact.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been following this thread and reading it's progress, and I am sort of lost. Darkod and a few others have asked if this was a System76 Machine... The Op said he needed System76 modules, but really didn't answer directly if it was..

I have a to ask again: Is this Sysem76 hardware?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Does Ubuntu not offer dkms with its kernels to insert the latest zfs modules into the kernel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast