Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to use ubuntu desktop without console?

Beans

Lightbulb how to use ubuntu desktop without console?

how to use ubuntu desktop without terminal?

In the process of using ubuntu desktop, apart from professional technology, what functions in your daily life make you have to use the terminal? Please reply and record it, I think this is the direction of system improvement.

Beans

Re: how to use ubuntu desktop without console?

When I plug in the headset, I have to use the command line to turn on the headset interface and disable the speaker.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Linux,Mac, and Windows all include a terminal/command line as part of the UI and using it is really a matter of choice. It is great resource for gathering information about the underlying system that supports the GUI. The command line is also a great tool for trouble shooting, and quickly resolving problems without digging though the UI to find particular applications. Sample of my terminal history.

Code:
    modprobe efivarfs
      201  ls /sys/firmware/efi
      202  sudo mokutil --sb-state​
      203  mokutil --sb-state
      204  ls /sys/firmware/efi
      205  echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
      206  dpkg --get-selections | grep nvidia
      207  lspci | grep VGA
      208  nvidia-settings
      209  ubuntu-drivers devices
      210  df -h
      211  mokutil --sb-state
      212  sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
      213  glances
      214  man glances
    Moved to Ubuntu Linux and OS Chat , not a support request.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; September 13th, 2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by danielfoo View Post
    When I plug in the headset, I have to use the command line to turn on the headset interface and disable the speaker.
    Appears that pulse audio isn't setup correctly. By default, any newly connected audio device, either a source or a sink, should become active at connection time. We can override this behavior in the client.conf file or by using the pavucontrol GUI program.

IMHO, people avoiding the shell are only using 20% of the power of their systems.
    Plus, in these text-based forums, providing steps that can be copied/pasted and still work vastly shortens the question-to-answer time. Having to post 20 images for a solution highlighting which button on each screen to be pressed is a hassle.

Don't fear the shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

idk --- 90% of my ubuntu desktop are ubuntu-server installed without a window manager or desktop. Control is via ssh/tmux. Maybe I should ask the question -- How to use Ubuntu with a GUI?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Maybe I should ask the question -- How to use Ubuntu with a GUI?
    Testify!

On my "desktop" now, there are 14 "windows" in the window list. The non-terminals are:
    FF, Thunderbird, KeePassXC, Handbrake, alarm-clock-applet and gnubiff. All the others are terminal windows into this and other systems. That's on this workspace. I use 3 workspaces. 1 workspace is empty. The 2nd has a terminal and a different browser.

My setup doesn't have a menu. I tend to launch programs from a terminal. This means both CLI and GUI programs can be easily run - no limits, no hidden name, no hidden output, using program options that I've customized.

Rather than point to a menu, look for an group, click, look for the name that someone else decided to call a program, click and get stuck using whatever the defaults are, when I want to run a program, if I use it all the time, there will be some options I want to have that aren't the defaults. For example, to launch thunderbird, here's the script:
    Code:
    more ~/bin/thunderbird.sh 
    #!/bin/bash
    FJ_OPTS="--dns=172.22.22.80 --rlimit-as=3500000000"
    TB_OPTS="-no-remote "

# limit RAM VSS to 4G
    PID=$(ssh -X  regulus /usr/bin/firejail $FJ_OPTS /usr/bin/thunderbird $TB_OPTS $@ & )
    exit;
    This creates a GUI channel to a different system to run thunderbird, inside a firejail sandbox, forces a specific DNS server (ad and "bad guy" blocking), limits the amount of RAM the program can see/grab and runs it. It prevents a locally run TB from being used when I specifically want to run it on that other system as well. The defaults just can't touch that flexibility.

Of course, most Ubuntu end-users don't know that this stuff is possible.

I don't use firejail confinement very often, but for high-risk programs, I'm happy to have it available. My firefox setup is very similar. It is extremely high-risk, IMHO. But I don't go crazy, so a calculator or video editor don't need any confinement. I do run the password manager on regulus too, through an ssh GUI connection - no confinement/jail needed. Regulus is a 20.04 system and has a newer version of the password manager than most other systems here. In general, programs that have internet connections get confined inside a firejail. Programs that don't, don't.

BTW, regulus is a virtual machine. Nearly the only way I use it is over an ssh connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielfoo View Post
    There is something wrong with your audio set up. You shouldn't need to do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    There is something wrong with your audio set up. You shouldn't need to do that.
    my old motherboard did that. it left the output on speakers. new one turn it off and switches to headset. so drivers are the issue here.

as for the OP.
    in daily life i do not use terminal. but then again i mostly just browse internet or play games (Steam or PoL). On occasion i am doing something in Libre office, pasting together video clips or watching photos.

i use terminal to talk to home server. and to troubleshoot. like during this weekend i used at my kids PC to try to resolve bad steam update. in the end it didn't help at all, and i eventually resolved it via Steam GUI.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Don't fool yourself about Windows. It has a vast registry, cmd line and programming built-in. The millions of end users don't need those things at all. I agree with you that Ubuntu needs robust point and click problem solving to be mainstream. What I am using right now with Impish and Gnome 4.2 has greatly improved its "settings" section but doesn't come close to what we had with the Unity Compiz Config. With the point and click compiz config one could brick an OS pretty fast. During that period I actually felt safer at the terminal. Today, because I only use current development versions life always resorts to the terminal. An operating system is no different than your car, there is an engine and drive train under that sheet metal. Own one long enough and you may have to get dirty. Linux has a reputation for being a down and dirty OS. Put your coveralls on and get to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    Don't fool yourself about Windows. It has a vast registry, cmd line and programming built-in. The millions of end users don't need those things at all. I agree with you that Ubuntu needs robust point and click problem solving to be mainstream. What I am using right now with Impish and Gnome 4.2 has greatly improved its "settings" section but doesn't come close to what we had with the Unity Compiz Config. With the point and click compiz config one could brick an OS pretty fast. During that period I actually felt safer at the terminal. Today, because I only use current development versions life always resorts to the terminal. An operating system is no different than your car, there is an engine and drive train under that sheet metal. Own one long enough and you may have to get dirty. Linux has a reputation for being a down and dirty OS. Put your coveralls on and get to it.
    I am still using unity on 20.04 and 21.04. I don't see how you could brick your system with compiz config, worst you just reset compiz, and how do you change compiz settings with the terminal??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast