Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

yanbuntu also has his own Boot Repair LiveCD (ISO) at: http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home

It had that link in the Boot Repair page I linked to in the previous post... As Option #1.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 12th, 2021 at 07:42 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hello, I see. I fixed it. Now I can run Ubuntu and Windows 10. Unfortunately I have another problem. I can't install my graphic's card drivers and Ubuntu is running very slow. I went to Additional Drivers (it took so much time to open), then there weren't extra drivers available. I looked up on the internet for a solution and when I tried to run the code of apt-get update it showed me the same error of not space left. I think that this has to be with my partitions. On the installation I assigned a 6 GB partition on my SSD and was configured as the swap partition, then I configured a 20 GB partition as root (on the SSD), and finally I assigned the /home partition on my HDD (200 GB partition). I installed the bootloader on the Windows Boot Manager partition (EFI).

Ubuntu runs super slow and the apps take a long time to open. I will need to re-install it because it is pretty slow. I think I will make the root partition bigger.
    Last edited by raxhacks; June 12th, 2021 at 08:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by raxhacks View Post
    I will need to re-install it because it is pretty slow. I think I will make the root partition bigger.
    Two days and more than 50 posts in this thread - I think that you should re-consider the installation of each OS and user data on separate disks.
    You are in a good position with your PC having two disks - many users do not have that luxury.

Beans

Yeah, I will, thank you all for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

LOL. Yes. now (at the start) is a good time to reinstall. You lose nothing at this point except the time to reinstall. You should be getting better at it now. (And now the installer works for you...)

NVidia Drivers are 3rd Party Proprietary, so you used to have to add the 3rd party Repo to see any NVidia drivers in Additional Drivers. I'm not sure if that has changed. No matter.

For me, I go to the NVidia site to download the drivers straight from them.

In the past, I used to use the drivers from the Ubuntu Graphics Team PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 12th, 2021 at 09:58 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@raxhacks

You never mentioned how much memory your System has... If running Win 10 Pro, I'm assuming at least 4GB right? As I said, a rule of thumbs is 1.5 times the installed RAM for a Linux Desktop.

*** But Paging on a running system at medium load is a safeguard. If you ran "sudo top" it would show you if the paging is getting hit, and if there were running processes eating up your resources.

But I think you were right, in that a fresh system, running on an SSD should scream. Something is wrong. You were learning, and had problems installing. Starting fresh would ensure at least that part is good, and checked off your list.

Once you get a good install, then get the NVidia drivers installed, then the Graphics load will get offloaded to the Graphics Card, and use it's memory for that. Processing graphics will be faster. You got some recent, powerful hardware. It should not be running slow.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 12th, 2021 at 11:37 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456