Thread: Screensaver or power saving kicking in unwantedly in xfwm4 after upgrade to 20.04LTS

Beans

Question Screensaver or power saving kicking in unwantedly in xfwm4 after upgrade to 20.04LTS

I run xfce on my ubuntu server and I just upgraded from 18 to 20.04LTS. Suddenly a power saving or screen saving setting has kicked in that wasn't there before, so it's blanking the screen after 10 mins or so.

I have disabled the screensaver and the lock screen functionality in the Settings dialog. I just tried to fix it by installing xfce4-power-manager and disabling all the power saving features there, but no luck.

Thanks
    Last edited by adam-hardy; December 3rd, 2020 at 11:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Screensaver or power saving kicking in unwantedly in xfwm4 after upgrade to 20.04

Have a look at the Power manager settings -> Display tab where you may find a setting to blank the screen after a set time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Screensaver or power saving kicking in unwantedly in xfwm4 after upgrade to 20.04

Been there, done that! No luck, unfortunately. Could it be badly installed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK. In the power-manager settings window there are options to show System-tray icon and Notifications, as in my screenshot.

Enable the system-tray icon and you will see the icon in the panel.
    Right click in that and you should see a tick-box for Presentation Mode.
    With that enabled all screen blanking, screensavers and timed system sleep will be disabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adam-hardy View Post
    I have disabled the screensaver and the lock screen functionality in the Settings dialog.
    Could you please be more specific what exactly you did?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux, Debian 11 ♦ System76 hardware, VirtualBox, virt-manager/KVM
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    Could you please be more specific what exactly you did?
    Settings menu -> Screensaver -> Screensaver tab -> Enable screensaver -> Off

Settings menu -> Screensaver -> Lockscreen tab -> Enable lockscreen -> Off

re Presentation mode: now enabled. Seems like a bit of a hack, but it works!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adam-hardy View Post
    re Presentation mode: now enabled. Seems like a bit of a hack, but it works!
    If you are still seeking a "better" solution, have you looked into xset dpms options? I needed that for a Xfce desktop where I didn't have xfce-power-manager. See man xset for more info.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux, Debian 11 ♦ System76 hardware, VirtualBox, virt-manager/KVM
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Having suggested the Presentation Mode solution I have to admit that I do not know what using that GUI method to stop screensaver or suspend happening uses as a command.
    No doubt there is someone who does know, or can tell us how to find it, but I know it works.

Why do you think that it's a "bit of a hack" when it is there, on offer, by the Xfce4-power-manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Why do you think that it's a "bit of a hack" when it is there, on offer, by the Xfce4-power-manager.
    I assume presentation mode is there for people using a screensaver or power-manager, so they can easily temporarily disable it with two clicks.

I'd say it'd be more logical to ask why you need the extra presentation mode if you already disabled the screensaver and the power manager. I just thought I'd make the point in case anyone in a position to do something about it actually reads this.

I'm not worried about it though - at the end of the day, the screen doesn't go blank anymore.