Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post System won't boot with RAM clock above 2400MHz

Hello all,

Asus ROG Strix X570-I
    G-Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 32GB
    Ryzen 3400G
    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this but there are some helpful people here so I will give it a go! Basically my computer won't boot when the RAM is clocked at anything over 2400MHz, If I go above this it will very briefly load the login screen before either abruptly changing to a green screen, or less frequently the login screen will just go all crazy (you know the sort of crazy I mean).

The limiting hardware is the Ryzen 3400G which only supports memory speeds up to 2933MHz, both the motherboard and the RAM modules support at least 3600MHz (or MT/s, whatever). I have enabled the only DOCP memory profile which is 3600MHz, and then manually set the memory frequency to 2966MHz or less, I have also tried manually setting the memory frequency and voltage. In either scenario I cannot successfully boot with the memory frequency set to more than 2400MHz. I also updated my firmware as the version that came with the board was a few versions old.

If anyone more knowledgeable has any suggestions they would be appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: System won't boot with RAM clock above 2400MHz

The strict answer is that only the default speed is actually within specification, and only particular modules that are on the QVL have been tested to work when overclocked.

However, loosening the latency requirements may help, and it's easier to keep two modules running fast than four.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    The strict answer is that only the default speed is actually within specification, and only particular modules that are on the QVL have been tested to work when overclocked
    My particular modules product number is on the QVL for the motherboard, more by luck than design as this is the first I have heard of it, but they are there. It seems kind of funky that they shouldn't work at higher speeds considering all the hardware supports it, I did wonder if it was a Linux issue...

Beans

I did wonder if it was a Linux issue
    Set the DOCP and boot into Memtest. If Memtest checks out, it may be an OS-specific problem. If Memtest fails, you are looking at a hardware issue. You can also try one stick at a time if you don't feel like bothering with Memtest.
    You could also try setting speed/latency manually in case the mobo is not detecting the settings properly. Finally, you could try a small RAM and/or CPU voltage bump to see if that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    You could also try setting speed/latency manually in case the mobo is not detecting the settings properly.
    I have tried setting the speed and voltage manually but when I did so I didn't manually set the timings, as I'm not quite sure what they should be. I'll have a look online at how I would set about calculating them

Finally, you could try a small RAM and/or CPU voltage bump to see if that helps.
    Do you mean 1.35v plus? that is the maximum that the BIOS states you should use, but I know people go higher, I'm loathe to push it higher myself at the moment as I really don't know what I'm doing with it and don't want to break my RAM

Also yes I will look into Memtest!

Beans

If it's this kit, it's rated to run at full speed at 1.40V anyway:
    https://www.gskill.com/specification...-Specification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    If it's this kit, it's rated to run at full speed at 1.40V anyway:
    https://www.gskill.com/specification...-Specification
    Very close, but it's this kit, and is only rated to 1.35v. Furthermore the BIOS apparently wont allow me to bump it above 1.35v at all...

https://gskill.com/specification/165...-Specification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So I set the DOCP profile and then manually turned the memory frequency down to 2933MHz and ran MemTest for a total of four, passes and after about seven hours it reported no errors. I also tried setting the timings manually and loosening them by a couple of units each but still the same symptoms when I try to boot. I can't boost the memory voltage any more than 1.35 as the BIOS won't allow it. The only thing I haven't tried is boosting the CPU voltage as I'm unsure how much to increment it by.

I'm considering downloading and booting Windows to see if it has the same issue, at which point if it does I can start by contacting ASUS/G.Skill/AMD (I'm not sure who would actually be best, probably ASUS) and seeing what they have to add...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    My particular modules product number is on the QVL for the motherboard, more by luck than design as this is the first I have heard of it, but they are there. It seems kind of funky that they shouldn't work at higher speeds considering all the hardware supports it,
    If it's on the QVL but doesn't actually work at the speed it's supposed to, I would return it as faulty.

I did wonder if it was a Linux issue...
    It wouldn't be a Linux issue as such, since it's hardware doing hardware things, but Linux does sometimes expose flaws in hardware implementations that manufacturers haven't bothered to test for. Some Ryzen platforms always returning -1 as their "totally random" number comes to mind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    So I set the DOCP profile and then manually turned the memory frequency down to 2933MHz and ran MemTest for a total of four, passes and after about seven hours it reported no errors.
    Why did you turn it down to 2933? The idea was to test it at 3600.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast