Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Beans

Question How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Hi everyone

I wish to setup up ubuntu server 18.04 so that all network client browsers to open a particular site hosted locally on the same machine web server. I have searched across the net and only find solution for windows server setup using group policies. I think there must be a way around this in ubuntu.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Perhaps if you tell what is the server's role one can suggest something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Perhaps if you tell what is the server's role one can suggest something.
    The server is a school server used as a router, a file server and a web server for web apps like Moodle, Xerte and library management app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGuyZA View Post
    Hi everyone

I wish to setup up ubuntu server 18.04 so that all network client browsers to open a particular site hosted locally on the same machine web server. I have searched across the net and only find solution for windows server setup using group policies. I think there must be a way around this in ubuntu.

Thanks

all network client browsers to open a particular site hosted locally
    Is it a "Captive portal" what you mean?
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Is it a "Captive portal" what you mean?
    I would love to create a captive portal. Thanks for the lesson. Captive portal is exactly what I want, I just didn't know that it is called a captive portal. Thanks a lot. So how do I create this captive portal but not only for WiFi but including computers that are connected via LAN.
    Last edited by BlackGuyZA; August 9th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would love to create a captive portal. Thanks for the lesson. Captive portal is exactly what I want, I just didn't know that it is called a captive portal. Thanks a lot. So how do I create this captive portal but not only for WiFi but including computers that are connected via LAN.

You're Welcome BlackGuyZA... Just mark this thread solve.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how do I create this captive portal but not only for WiFi but including computers that are connected via LAN.

Just create a new thread for this.

Beans

Well, I can see doing this with iptables rules, but I don't know how that would work with the pi-hole stuff you talked about in the other thread.

The gateway server should be running a copy of Apache or nginx with the page you wish to display when someone goes to the web. Then you could use something like this:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80  -j REDIRECT --to-ports 80
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 443
    Those rules intercept any outbound packets destined for remote port 80 and 443 and sends them to the localhost address on the same ports.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Well, I can see doing this with iptables rules, but I don't know how that would work with the pi-hole stuff you talked about in the other thread.

The gateway server should be running a copy of Apache or nginx with the page you wish to display when someone goes to the web. Then you could use something like this:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80  -j REDIRECT --to-ports 80
    sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 443
    Those rules intercept any outbound packets destined for remote port 80 and 443 and sends them to the localhost address on the same ports.
    This sounds good and straight forward. I will try it when I get to school tomorrow and will let you know. My gateway server is running Apache on both ports 80 and 8080. I would like to redirect the packets to the 8080 port because that is where the school home page is located. One concern I have though is that it looks like client computers will never be able to go to any other website except that on the localhost address, right?
    Last edited by BlackGuyZA; August 9th, 2020 at 03:15 PM.

Beans

Yes. I thought that was the point.

Also you'll need to add HTTPS support to Apache since you can't redirect encrypted HTTPS requests to an unencrypted site. You'd need to add HTTPS support on the server. You should look into LetsEncrypt to add a certificate to your server.

Honestly, the best way to do this is to use Squid, where you could have fine-grained control over where people can go by domain name or IP address or many other criteria. You'd need the same type of iptables rules to redirect outbound port 80 requests to the server's port 3128 where Squid listens by default. You can also push HTTPS through the proxy by employing another port like 3129. However this is actually pretty complicated to set up correctly. Just pushing HTTPS traffic through the proxy will generate security complaints from the client's browser. Squid has a neat trick to avoid this problem. You can create a self-signed SSL certificate and load it on the proxy and all the workstations. Then when an HTTPS request hits the proxy, it connects to the remote host using the remote's certificate, but sends the resulting content back to the requesting client over a secure connection using the self-signed certificate. If this all sounds really complicated, it's because it is. There are some how-to pages on the Internet that cover these issues, but the ones I've looked at aren't very clear. I've set up such a system as a demonstration for a client using the documentation at squid-cache.org, but we never implemented it because of the requirement that they needed to deploy the self-signed certs across their 250-300 workstations. (I used the "ssl_bump" feature in Squid which has since been expanded by the "peek and splice" code described in the linked article.)
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 9th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast