2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Root File System

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Choice of Root File System

Hi All

With Canonical suggesting ZFS as a file system for Ubuntu, I'm curious as to what file system you will (or are) using on your root partition.

Last edited by Graham1; July 25th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Choice of Root File System

As I have almost no knowledge of zfs I will certainly be sticking with ext4 on all systems that I need to run exactly as I expect; I do not have time to deal with unexpected things happening on a working install.

I do expect to have a look at it, either using Vbox, if that is OK with zfs, or probably better, using a small testing system in dual boot on a laptop I use less than my main machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

With all announcements regarding changes in Ubuntu I wait and see. I remember rumblings about Wayland being default too. It seems 20.10 may include improved support for zfs. I use ext4 and after a little research I find no clear consensus on what file system is the best option.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ext4 for the root. BTRFS can be used well on /home
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wow, I'm surprised I'm the only person using a non ext4 partition as root. Having read reports of btrfs being a lot slower than ext4, I haven't noticed much difference tbh. To those running ext4, what is your recovery (or backup) procedure? Having tried zfs in boxes, recovery doesn't seem as good (when using timeshift with btrfs) but still early days I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To those running ext4, what is your recovery (or backup) procedure?
    deja dup, always to external hard drives.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I choose other because I don't care what partition is used.

I'll use whatever the default installer sets up at the time of install OOTB.

I used to set up all the different partitions for root and home and swap etc I don't remember anymore.

Nowadays I just insert the DVD and let it do the rest and always have good results OOTB with default partitions.

So whatever new partitions Ubuntu or other Linux distros I use want to create and use I'm cool with as long as it works.

Life Is Good.
    Last edited by poorguy; July 30th, 2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    deja dup, always to external hard drives.
    I've started using deja dup for backing up my home directory (int. ssd > int. sata). Does deja dup create incremental backups? Can this be used to restore the OS in the event of a system crash? (no gui).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I choose other because I don't care what partition is used.

I'll use whatever the default installer sets up at the time of install OOTB.

I used to set up all the different partitions for root and home and swap etc I don't remember anymore.

Nowadays I just insert the DVD and let it do the rest and always have good results OOTB with default partitions.

So whatever new partitions Ubuntu or other distros I use what to create and use I'm cool with as long as it works I don't care.

Life Is Good.
    I used to go with the defaults but since becoming more confident with Linux, have started using different setups. For root, btrfs as it allows me to instantly restore the OS in case of a bad update or user error. Previously used Clonezilla but using TImeshift works well for me (gui or terminal). Home is on a ext4 partition and if I have had to (or chosen to) install the OS again, configuration is still in contact. Swap is on a separate partition as the swapfile doesn't seem to be recognised under btrfs.

Last edited by Graham1; July 30th, 2020 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    I used to go with the defaults but since becoming more confident with Linux, have started using different setups. For root, btrfs as it allows me to instantly restore the OS in case of a bad update or user error.
    I don't recall having many issues from updates that broke my distro where a reinstall was necessary.
    I usually created the problems I've had which broke my distro and I had to reinstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    Previously used Clonezilla but using TImeshift works well for me (gui or terminal). Home is on a ext4 partition and if I have had to (or chosen to) install the OS again, configuration is still in contact.

I just back up important files / folders to usb thumb drives as as needed.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast