Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    Motorola. Preferably one that can be rooted and a custom ROM installed.
    True, Nexus 5 with UBPorts and Nexus 6 with Colt OS (Andoid 10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Tracfone Alcatel TCL A502DL I don't like monthly payments. With Tracfone everything rolls over from month to month. My wife and myself have two phones each. One for daily use and one stays in our individual car. I got tired of forgetting my phone so the TCL is only $30 and for that amount it doesn't make sense not to have a phone in the car. My two different phones have separate numbers but otherwise are identical because thy both have the same google account installed. Don't think anything can touch the price. My wife uses up some texts but I haven't had a phone bill for myself since last year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    One for daily use and one stays in our individual car. I got tired of forgetting my phone so the TCL is only $30 and for that amount it doesn't make sense not to have a phone in the car.
    i use prepaid and use less than 5 EUR in 90 days (recharge period). if i forget a phone at home, it makes me pause and think, but generally i don't really care.

my wife uses about the same, she mostly uses it on Wifi at home and outside only to make photos of kids or make a phone call for some "emergency". i don't use phones much, does that make me strange?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    does that make me strange?
    Not at all. The reason we keep a phone in our cars is because we live in a very rural mountain area. Just a safety measure. Kind of like carrying a spare tire. After all we are talking 'best service for the least price.' If I was paying a monthly charge for two car phones they would be pretty costly. Without wireless we would have nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    We do Tracfone from HSN and for $79.99 to $99.99 we can get an LG smartphone with 1500 minutes / 1500 texts / 1500 MBs of data for a year which is enough for our use and Verizon is the carrier.

Tracfone ain't for everyone however for us it works great with zero complaints because we don't live on our cell phones.

When the year is up we buy new smartphones with the same plans and a new number.

We buy the phones to have for emergency use and our convenience and not socializing we're old.

LG smartphones that we get work great and we have no complaints.
    Your right! $5 bucks a month for $59. I have an LG440 that I've used for many years. The phone cost $10. Bought a second one for $5, in case the battery fails on the first one. But you HSN is even a better deal and a MUCH better phone. But I don't use my phone much. Use Hangouts much more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i use prepaid and use less than 5 EUR in 90 days (recharge period). if i forget a phone at home, it makes me pause and think, but generally i don't really care.

my wife uses about the same, she mostly uses it on Wifi at home and outside only to make photos of kids or make a phone call for some "emergency". i don't use phones much, does that make me strange?
    No. You aren't strange. You just choose when you want to be bothered by other people and don't waste money on things you consider unimportant. To a 25 yr old, I bet an RV would seem like a total waste of money in the same way we consider an expensive smartphone and expensive data plan to be a waste of money. Over our lives, priorities change.

I use pre-paid too. For years, it was truly pay for what you use with annual expiration where minutes needed to be added. I'd add $10/yr. The provider decided people like me were costing them too much money and changed it to a $3/month charge with expiring minutes/texts monthly ... $48/yr isn't so bad compared to the what everyone around here pays - $40-$120/month. A few times a year, when I travel, I'll buy a 7-day data pass for $10. When in a new place, having access to data is handy for many reasons. Just don't need data at home. We know the area, know where to eat, when they are open. All those things we don't know in a new place. I have seen some $10-$12/month data plans, which are slightly interesting, but since I work from home the last 12 yrs, that makes only slight sense.

I let my PAYGO expire a few days ago. They will keep the number for me for 90 days. Since we are all basically hibernating at home, what's the point of a cell phone? I've been running a phone system with 1-number for a few decades. That's the number I give out and it rings my home and cell concurrently. We might leave the house for an hour 1-2 days a week now during business hours. People can leave a voicemail. I walk every morning before sunrise, so not having a working cell phone then is pretty unimportant. If I'm not back home by 6:30am, my better half would come looking for me, worried about some health issue, I suppose. Here is is next to ZERO violent crime, so it isn't a safety thing.

People who live and work in big cities use the city as their yard/living room, so they'd seldom be at home. To be connected, they need a cell phone.

We are the opposite. We have a beautiful, nature filled back yard with all sorts of wild animals that visit. It is fun to watch the rabbits and squirrels and birds there. Inside, we have lots of room compared to what 90% of city people have. 6 people can easily stay away from each other in the house on a rainy day ... or all play a game together in the family room. Oh - and there are cordless multi-spectrum phones in most rooms, so we aren't out of touch. The voice system controller is on a UPS, so if the power is out, the phones all keep working for at least 4 hrs. And we have the $3/month cell plan - each.

I have 3 phone devices. Two are $20 flip-phones with 20 days on a charge. Great for travel or hiking+camping. No need for batteries for a week back country camping trip. The last device is a $99 smartphone. Had an expensive Nexus for a few years, before google decided to drop support. Around town, it is really just a music player and GPS if I'm in a new area. I keep paper maps in the cars. A key map for the metro area, big free state foldout map (from the visitor center), Rand McNalley US atlas for everything else. They are all 25+ yrs old, but that seldom matters. When the cell phone dies/breaks, some map is better than no map.

I think my next "smartphone" will be in the $60 range. If I was a big-city living person, perhaps a $400 device would make more sense, provided it had 5 yrs of support?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12