Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to backup packages

Beans

best way to backup packages

Hi there. I've been trying to write a bash script to backup packages. There's actually a few different methods to do this and I wanted to ask which one you guys think is best for reality and functionality.

There are 3 ways that I am aware of.

#1 To backup the deb files from the archives directory and use the command
    Code:
    dpkg -i *.deb
    to install them. Though sometimes things can break and not every thing goes in especially if there's been a lot of stuff installed.

#2 Another method is to use the code
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -iGER
    this one is new to me I just found out about it. It seems to be a much better option than just using -i because it can prevent downgrades.

#3 Finally you can also backup and restore the following
    /var/cache/apt/archives
    /var/lib/apt/lists
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d

This will allow you to use the apt to install updates and packages even without internet. You can even use the software center to do it. But you have to remember what it is you've backed up. I'm not aware of anyway to to make apt check the cache for available packages.

Out of these 3 which ones do you think are best. I prefer not to use programs or apps to backup because they can deprecate, also this way gives me more hands on control over the Linux system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: best way to backup packages

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a more appropriate fit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i just backup the list of manually installed packages because the actual packages will constantly be updated. A list is tiny and restoring is just a few minutes. if the network has an apt-cache-ng caching server, then current packages will be stored their after the first system loads it.

To make a list of manually installed packages, use apt-mark showmanual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    i just backup the list of manually installed packages because the actual packages will constantly be updated. A list is tiny and restoring is just a few minutes. if the network has an apt-cache-ng caching server, then current packages will be stored their after the first system loads it.

To make a list of manually installed packages, use apt-mark showmanual
    Wouldn't a list like that require the internet to restore the programs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mintmag View Post
    Wouldn't a list like that require the internet to restore the programs?
    Not if you have apt-cache-ng on another system, assuming that other system is on the LAN. This way the caching of packages is automatic.

But you asked for a solution without stating the real problem to be solved. We don't backup OSes or easily retrieved packages and haven't for about a decade. There is probably a good solution to the real problem.

Had an OS disk failure earlier this week. The replacement HDD arrived yesterday and I’ll restore it later today. Just need to figure out which physical disk failed. When there are 12 disks connected to a system, knowing which one failed requires some physical checking to see the S/N or WWN and recognize the missing disk. Really it is just down to 3 of that brand, but i still need to physically locate those. While I’m pulling disks, some reorganization will be likely. Planning to "shuck" a few USB3 8TB disks an put them into an eSATA array for better performance.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 14th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Beans

Sorry for the late reply. I'm looking for an easy way to backup that won't require the internet to restore. THe programs you download from the software center.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry for the late reply. I'm looking for an easy way to backup that won't require the internet to restore. THe programs you download from the software center.
    apt-cacher-ng is what we use. It sits between every apt request and keeps local copies of the packages. I've not attempted to restore anything with the internet down, but all the packages for every system are on in the apt-cache managed by that software. Every week when I patch our systems, only the first system actually causes the internet to download the package. It is placed into the cache and every other system will use that cache to install assuming the systems are all running the same OS, on the same architecture. Because our system are a little different from each other, about ... let me check the numbers ...
    Code:
    Transfer statistics
    Period                                   Cache efficiency Requests             Data
                                               Hits   Misses      Total         Hits          Misses               Total
    2020-06-24 07:58 - 2020-06-25 07:58  98 (75.97%)  31 (24.03%)  129     0.02 MiB (0.21%)    11.14 MiB (99.79%)  11.17 MiB
    2020-06-23 07:58 - 2020-06-24 07:58  96 (93.20%)  7 (6.80%)    103     0.02 MiB (2.97%)    0.69 MiB (97.03%)   0.72 MiB
    2020-06-22 07:58 - 2020-06-23 07:58  99 (76.74%)  30 (23.26%)  129     0.02 MiB (0.06%)    43.83 MiB (99.94%)  43.86 MiB
    2020-06-21 07:58 - 2020-06-22 07:58  98 (81.67%)  22 (18.33%)  120     29.69 MiB (88.32%)  3.92 MiB (11.68%)   33.61 MiB
    2020-06-20 07:58 - 2020-06-21 07:58  294 (70.50%) 123 (29.50%) 417     290.66 MiB (60.58%) 189.11 MiB (39.42%) 479.76 MiB
    2020-06-19 07:58 - 2020-06-20 07:58  97 (87.39%)  14 (12.61%)  111     0.11 MiB (5.43%)    1.90 MiB (94.57%)   2.01 MiB
    2020-06-18 07:58 - 2020-06-19 07:58  96 (94.12%)  6 (5.88%)    102     0.29 MiB (28.69%)   0.71 MiB (71.31%)   1.00 MiB
    So you can see that on 2020-06-20, I patched the systems. About 500MB was downloaded and about 60% of the data needed for patching was used on more than 1 system. Most of the systems here run 16.04. We have 1 20.04 box, which uses all new code, always.

That's for .deb packages.

Snaps, flatpaks, AppImages, and manually installed from source stuff isn't part of this solution. You can come up with a standard idea for those, but snaps have a terrible practice of patching whenever they like, without permission. AppImages and Flatpaks don't automatically patch, ever, so we have to manually get the new versions for those packages. So much for making our lives easier. Plus, snaps don't allow anything like a PPA or a local repository.

If you have just one system, then backup the files where they sit and all the files that are connected. I'm not positive about APT, but probably everything under /var/lib/apt* is needed.

Beans

I think one of the biggest challenges for independent Linux distribution is software management. Like you said there doesn't seem to be a real solution to this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think one of the biggest challenges for independent Linux distribution is software management. Like you said there doesn't seem to be a real solution to this.
    I disagree. Since the late 1990s, package managers have made Linux software management 1000x safer and 1000x easier than what other platforms do. APT is freakin' amazing.

There are a few ways for independent software to be distributed.
    • Create a package file and get a PPA. This works for Debian-based software packages. PPAs are free or you can host your own. RH rpm packages have a similar idea, though the packaging is different. Whatever Arch uses is similar too.
    • Create a snap package (distro agnostic, in theory); snaps can only be distributed via Canonical's Snap-Store. In theory, this is for security reasons, but there have been a number of failures where a 3rd party created a snap package with crypt-mining malware inside. Canonical didn't catch any of it. Anyone can create a snap package, but for the package to be available, it must have constraints enabled. Snaps that aren't updated by the snap creator become security nightmares. snap updates are pushed and there's no way to stop them.
    • Create a flatpak (distro agnostic, in theory); I only know a little about these. They don't update without manual effort for each.
    • Create an AppImage (distro agnostic, in theory); These are closest to the setup.exe method, but prevent commonly used methods to run the programs.
    • Distribute as source, but with minimal dependencies (good for small/trivial projects only); youtube-dl works well this way. Complex programs like ffmpeg are difficult to distribute this way.

Each method has problems.

I'll stay with using trusted repositories and PPAs whenever possible. It works well and I can wrap high-risk programs in firejails with locally controlled directory access choices.

Package management is one of the main reasons I avoid Windows broken software model.

Single user systems that aren't on a network bring challenges for all sorts of things. If you absolutely must have everything without any networking available, create a clone using fsarchiver. This will require downtime, unless you install using a volume manager that has snapshot capabilities - LVM or ZFS can be used.

Beans

I disagree. Since the late 1990s, package managers have made Linux software management 1000x safer and 1000x easier than what other platforms do. APT is freakin' amazing.
    I thought you were criticizing them. You did say snaps patch without permission which is a bad thing.
    There are a few ways for independent software to be distributed.
    • Create a package file and get a PPA. This works for Debian-based software packages. PPAs are free or you can host your own. RH rpm packages have a similar idea, though the packaging is different. Whatever Arch uses is similar too.
    • Create a snap package (distro agnostic, in theory); snaps can only be distributed via Canonical's Snap-Store. In theory, this is for security reasons, but there have been a number of failures where a 3rd party created a snap package with crypt-mining malware inside. Canonical didn't catch any of it. Anyone can create a snap package, but for the package to be available, it must have constraints enabled. Snaps that aren't updated by the snap creator become security nightmares. snap updates are pushed and there's no way to stop them.
    • Create a flatpak (distro agnostic, in theory); I only know a little about these. They don't update without manual effort for each.
    • Create an AppImage (distro agnostic, in theory); These are closest to the setup.exe method, but prevent commonly used methods to run the programs.
    • Distribute as source, but with minimal dependencies (good for small/trivial projects only); youtube-dl works well this way. Complex programs like ffmpeg are difficult to distribute this way.

Each method has problems.
    This seems to contradict your opening statement about not agreeing. At the very least fall into line with what I said "I think one of the biggest challenges for independent Linux distribution is software management." This is what I was talking about. There's a lot of methods but most of them bring along new problems and most distros reject them. It's easy to see why Linux Mint refuses to support snap and appimage is pretty much dead. Apt isn't bad but it's not appropriate for everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast