Thread: Problems with wine under 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Problems with wine under 20.04

I've been trying out 20.04 beta, fully upgraded each day. everything seems to work quite well except wine. I have one old windows program that there is no replacement for but that I use every day. I know I could install windows in Virtualbox but would prefer to avoid it if possible. It's always worked well in Ubuntu up through 19.10, but with 20.04 wine crashes with a box saying quit or wait - Which I can't get the mouse to choose. If I wait two or three minutes the program will eventually launch. after that if I close the session, and try to restart it I get the prompt that says wine is already running and have to kill it with killall before I can restart it. then it's back to two or three minutes or longer. hope this will be fixed in final. If anyone has any Ideas I'll try it.
    thanks
    P.S. I've already tried Playonlinux same result there.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems with wine under 20.04

Hello,

I suppose that you initiate the program by clicking on the executable file after installation. Have you checked what it mentions if executed from terminal?

Also, are you facing the same issue using 32 or 64 bit wine prefixes? Just some initial ideas that you might have already checked...

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

I suppose that you initiate the program by clicking on the executable file after installation. Have you checked what it mentions if executed from terminal?

Also, are you facing the same issue using 32 or 64 bit wine prefixes? Just some initial ideas that you might have already checked...

Regards!
    I'm using 32 bit libs. i'll give the terminal a try tomorrow and get back to you.
    Thanks
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Same problem when lauched form terminal. No error messages given
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

having problems myself with playonlinux and 32bit applications, I gave a go to phoenicis playonlinux alpha2 version: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/comments-1368.html. It seems that it is working ok, yet I do not know if it is on the right direction, since, focal is still in beta state and things might change when it goes to stable. I guess that I would wait a week more to see what I would get.

Another idea would be to try and install it in a 64 version of wine/playonlinux, preferably to 5.1 version at that time. I think that you might get a descent performance, so if you have the time you could try that as well.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

thanks Claus7
    yes, going to wait here also, but just put this out so if anyone had found a solution I could try that.
    Waiting not so patiently
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

well nothing really changed with final. Still takes a long time to launch a program, but once launched runs fine. Guess that's just the way it is.
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

haven't seen or taken any notice of any wine updates lately. Since point release is on its way in about one month from now, where bug fixes are expected, I would wait a little longer. Also, it seems that now the application in question does not crush, yet it takes longer. I suppose that the new graphics drivers that are under way would play a difference as well.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread closed