Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant paste 'sy' script into /home/graham/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins directory

Beans

Re: cant paste 'sy' script into /home/graham/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins directory

when I do that I get the error message: you dont have the right permissions to extract archives in the folder 'plug-ins'

Beans

Do you want to put the zip file into the plugins directory, or do you want to put the two .sy files in there?

I don't think you can copy the contents of a zip file without extracting it first. In xubuntu the copy option in the archive viewer looks like it's working, but paste in the file manager is greyed out afterwards. I guess also true for Ubuntu. Extract the zip, copy the file, then delete the extracted contents again.
    Last edited by The Cog; January 27th, 2020 at 10:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is precisely what I asked some 9 posts ago...
    And that's a huge problem because your user should have permission in its own home folder. Have you been running graphical software with 'sudo' perhaps?

Hopefully it can be correct by
    Code:
    sudo chown -R user /home/graham

Beans

I believe I need to change the permissions for my user account to that of an admin so I can then extract the files but I dont know how to do that.

It is my laptop with 1 user account which is called graham (me). I have tried google to figure out how to change to admin but dont understand how to do it

Beans

wgen I paste that code into a terminal window it asks me for the graham password, which I type in but then the prompt stays the same

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your user is the "admin" when using sudo...

Of course the prompt stays the same. Now, when you try to extract to the same directory, what happens?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gt123456789 View Post
    I believe I need to change the permissions for my user account to that of an admin so I can then extract the files but I don't know how to do that.
    You do not need to change the permissions of your account.

If you are working inside your home directory (/home/graham) then you should not need to raise your permissions at all. I think we need more info to figure out what the problem is. Firstly, can you please show us the permissions of the file you are trying to extract. And let's see the permissions of the plugins directory too. Open a command prompt and use these commands:
    Code:
    ls -l Downloads/filename
    ls -ld .gimp-2.8
    ls -ld .gimp-2.8/plug-ins
    Copy all the conversation (commands and responses) and post back here. This should tell us a lot.

By the way, the normal way to raise your user permissions is to use sudo in front of the command. This causes the command to execute as user root - it does not permanently change your ID. For instance, try:
    Code:
    ls -a /root
    sudo ls -a root
    See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12