Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Create Dual Boot with Win10 FROM UBUNTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Create Dual Boot with Win10 FROM UBUNTU

Hi guys,

So just about every single article or post out there is regarding those looking to make a dual boot FROM Win10 to have Ubuntu
    I run Ubuntu 18.04 as the primary, but unfortunately due to an app I need to run that's only available on Windows, I have no choice but to install Win10 on a dual boot, WINE isn't an option unfortunately.

How would I go about setting up a dual boot to Win10 from within Ubuntu 18.04? (I have the Win10 .ISO)
    Also I have a 128GB SSD that's pretty full with Ubuntu plus installations.

Shoud I:
    • Just get another SSD for Windows entirely all together since the first is almost full?
      • I guess a dual boot in this way would simply involve toggling between the boot drives on startup
      • Coincidentally I have a GRUB screen showing on start-up issue, unresolved for over a year now (can't find a fix)

OR

• Find a way to upgrade to a larger SSD (eg 500GB) - clone existing SSD onto the new one and then partion?
      • Does a partition drive have any advantages? Other than saving a drive slot?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Create Dual Boot with Win10 FROM UBUNTU

If you need Windows 10 for just a single application I suggest you look at running a virtual install in, for example, VirtualBox.

There are other virtualisation applications available but I do not have experience of anything other than VirtualBox.
    This will partly depend on your hardware having sufficient resources to run a VM but if the application you need it for is not too resource hungry and does not need full 3D acceleration from a graphic card, you should be OK.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If you need Windows 10 for just a single application I suggest you look at running a virtual install in, for example, VirtualBox.

There are other virtualisation applications available but I do not have experience of anything other than VirtualBox.
    This will partly depend on your hardware having sufficient resources to run a VM but if the application you need it for is not too resource hungry and does not need full 3D acceleration from a graphic card, you should be OK.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. The application I'm trying to run is actually a VR Fitness Game called Zwift, which is actaully fintastic by the way, used by many pro athletes as well.
    Unfortunately, based on reading and the resource demands of this game virtualization with VirtualBox has a few issues:
    https://forums.zwift.com/t/zwift-on-...ualbox/5990/10
    I'm also planning to run this to a 4K TV using a GTX 1070 or 1080 graphics card, not sure how that would work inside a virtual install

At this bottom of the above thead somebody noted that "wintousb" was working. But isn't that basically an "outside-system/external" dual-boot?
    Last edited by THEKINGDOM; November 7th, 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

To start install gparted to handle creating the partitions. I have two Windows 10 dual boots with Ubuntu, but have never installed Windows from the Ubuntu side. Windows first was generally recommended when I started dual booting though it defiantly can be done.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Having Ubuntu and Windows on separate drives is better. It makes it less likely that Windows damages Ubuntu.

Beans

^ I second that one, and it's nice to be able to swap them out when you need to. There are a couple extras you need to do for for Windows 10 that you don't in earlier versions, but it still works.

You would still need to configure grub for the boot process - you don't toggle the drives.

This is one of the guides I used to set up mine, it was fairly simple.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Beans

Depending on how full is pretty full, you should start thinking of a bigger drive anyway. Used to be Win after Ubuntu gave minor problems, but with EFI seems to go okay, my limited experience and what I read. Win can mess up Linux partitions on major upgrades if you are one of the unlucky ones, so having separate drives is good, if easy to remove one for upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Depending on how full is pretty full, you should start thinking of a bigger drive anyway. Used to be Win after Ubuntu gave minor problems, but with EFI seems to go okay, my limited experience and what I read. Win can mess up Linux partitions on major upgrades if you are one of the unlucky ones, so having separate drives is good, if easy to remove one for upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    ^ I second that one, and it's nice to be able to swap them out when you need to. There are a couple extras you need to do for for Windows 10 that you don't in earlier versions, but it still works.

You would still need to configure grub for the boot process - you don't toggle the drives.

This is one of the guides I used to set up mine, it was fairly simple.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Having Ubuntu and Windows on separate drives is better. It makes it less likely that Windows damages Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    To start install gparted to handle creating the partitions. I have two Windows 10 dual boots with Ubuntu, but have never installed Windows from the Ubuntu side. Windows first was generally recommended when I started dual booting though it defiantly can be done.
    Thanks guys, I'll likely do separate drives then, tonight.
    How would I kick start the process to setup a new drive as the windows 10 OS - just load on the ISO and make that the boot drive?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i know it costs more, but separate computers is the ultimate for having Linux and Windows together. I've done this before and even had the two computers right next to each other and connected them to the same LAN. they seemed to get along OK and neither did any damage or file corruption to the other. you might not be able to do this right away, but planning it for the future might let you do it. i know Ubuntu likes it when it doesn't have to reboot until the next kernel upgrade.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

You might take a look at the Ubuntu documentation on dual booting with windows 10 at the site at the link below. If you do windows EFI you should install Ubuntu EFI also or it will make the boot process more convoluted. One problems with EFI is that Ubuntu will install Grub efi files to the first EFI partition it finds which could be the windows drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast