Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to share docs between desktop and laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Best way to share docs between desktop and laptop?

I keep my documents synchronized as part of my data backup. I don't keep a central server running on my LAN; I just use an external USB HDD big enough to back everything up. I use Grsync to synchronize my files between my 2 laptops and my backup HDD. Disadvantage: I have to make sure that I synchronize the most current file versions to the backup HDD. In my case, not usually an issue since one laptop is just a backup PC anyway. Advantage: Because i disconnect the external HDD, it can't be corrupted by external hacking or power surges.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

nfs or samba share?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    nfs or samba share?
    I use samba for this. Two Windows desktops have no issue reading and writing there, and administration is pretty straightforward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Personally, I just email, with attachments, to myself. Works just fine, for a few files.

A USB thumb drive would likely hold all the files.

Just trying to KISS.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sneakernet with a multi-gig usb drive is ridiculously effective. Cons: the drive fills up with junk. You have to run around a bit. Pros: very secure, immune to network attacks when not in use, fully securable if you lock it in a safe or something... There's really no more secure solution. It's only a little inconvenient, too, depending on how often you transfer files and how many files at a time.

It's so effective, I've let all my significant network file shares go for a while now. No matter how good a NAS or file server is, if it's open, it's going to take some maintenance work over time. I'll get a file server up again soon I'm sure, but you really don't need one unless you need to share work with a workgroup.

On the list to investigate: git. It has a lot of power, and I want versioning for some content I'm working on.
    Last edited by jetsam; November 19th, 2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Grammer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Sneakernet with a multi-gig usb drive is ridiculously effective. Cons: the drive fills up with junk. You have to run around a bit. Pros: very secure, immune to network attacks when not in use, fully securable if you lock it in a safe or something... There's really no more secure solution. It's only a little inconvenient, too, depending on how often you transfer files and how many files at a time.

It's so effective, I've let all my significant network file shares go for a while now. No matter how good a NAS or file server is, if it's open, it's going to take some maintenance work over time. I'll get a file server up again soon I'm sure, but you really don't need one unless you need to share work with a workgroup.

On the list to investigate: git. It has a lot of power, and I want versioning for some content I'm working on.
    That's basically what I do now, even down to the point of using my gun safe. Backup drives live in tupperware which is then placed in the safe. If the drives are at all subject to static (such as bare physical drives) they're first placed in anti-static bags. And I've actually begun using DVD's more frequently again - not sure WHY. Actually my laptop bag has a slot that's seems to be made for CD's and DVD's so why not?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There was some saying about a truck full of dvd's beating the internet in a data race...

They work, no excuses needed. I think they're relatively good archival-ish-wise (?!word!?) if you keep them dry and dark, too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    There was some saying about a truck full of dvd's beating the internet in a data race...

They work, no excuses needed. I think they're relatively good archival-ish-wise (?!word!?) if you keep them dry and dark, too.
    DVD's are very easy to label, flash drives not so much. Markers smear, labels peel, etc. I tried actual tags at one point (affixed with small slip rings) but that defeats the compact aspect of flash drives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    DVD's are very easy to label, flash drives not so much. Markers smear, labels peel, etc. I tried actual tags at one point (affixed with small slip rings) but that defeats the compact aspect of flash drives.
    Dvds sure are convenient, but are you aware of the potential for --disc rot-- (Wikipedia info link in blue) over time? I only mention this to you as I recently pulled out some of my old win98 backup sets only to find 2 of the 4 discs in a set were no good any more. They were stored in good conditions, dark cool and dry etc, but after about 18 years of storage were no longer any good and were totally unaccessible. Having 2 discs affected by disc rot lost the whole backup set unfortunately.

Luckily I had read about the potential for such problems back then and any important files are still backed up on my magnetic media (SATA hard drives). If you intend to keep data over prolonged periods of time I would advise against optical media like dvds from personal experience here. If you only need a means of quick storage for transfer purposes optical media like dvds are very good though, particularly the rewriteable ones.

I have a couple of external SATA docks, one is USB2 and the other USB3, that can plug in either 2.5 inch laptop drives or full size 3.5 inch desktop hard drives. For large transfers or for many files I definitely recommend a USB3 dock for the faster transfer speeds.

I usually have a local samba file network set up for all my devices, 1 laptop and 5 rPi units, with the samba service bound to the ethernet network via the smb.conf files etc; I bind the samba sharing to the ethernet network as my internet access is via an android phone either USB tethered or by wireless. This type of shares network takes quite a bit of initial setting up but once done is pretty good for transfers on a gigabit network with a 5 port network switch here. Though my best/most convenient/easiest way of sharing files/docs here would be via the USB3 dock.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dvds sure are convenient, but are you aware of the potential for --disc rot-- (Wikipedia info link in blue) over time?
    Oh, thanks for bringing that up. I'd actually heard about that before and had forgotten it completely...

Just anecdotally, I think almost all my now 30ish year old audio cd's play through just fine, barring the lost and damaged ones... It seems like the aluminum based professional ones are at least decent for archival purposes provided they're handled carefully and the plastic isn't extensively scratched. I suppose that's tough to ensure in a public collection, though...

...everything degrades with time. Even stone erodes and gathers lichen. I've got boxes of old magnetic media from the eight bit days I'm afraid to try to access, for fear of finding out how much of them I've lost already. Most of them aren't important, but I would like to see that old pirated copy of Karateka working again some day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast