Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warty Warthog 15 Years Celebration!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Warty Warthog 15 Years Celebration!

I messed around with Warty for a while way back in early 2005 having read about it and finding a CD containing the bootable live system on a computer magazine, though I can't remember which magazine it was; far too long ago.

I was also using XP at the time, and very happy with it, never having suffered from any malware or viruses as I'm paranoid about where I go to on the net, and very careful with stray USB flash drives.

Linux and Ubuntu was a revelation to me, I was stunned about how good it looked and ran and started investigating other distros, eg Fedora Core, Mandriva and others I can't now remember but Ubuntu was the best of the bunch so I installed it, very bravely as a dual boot, having made numerous backups on floppies which was all I had available.

I had a CD of WinXP so knew I could always reinstall if needed, but very quickly got to the point when I only ever booted Windows to make sure the antivirus was up to date, so after about a year, I think, I deleted XP, reinstalled Ubuntu and never looked back again. I joined the forum in July 2005 while using 5.04, Hoary Hedgehog.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 22nd, 2019 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It's been a great ride, Nov 2004 here. I haven't always stayed with Ubuntu but I do come back eventually
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

I have MicroSoft to thank. Never would of left them if it wasn't for Vista back in 2008.

Beans

All good stories. When I started with Warty, I had an old laptop that I wanted to use as a music player but it wouldn't setup the audio properly, so I pent quite some time browsing the forum for answers and found it. It worked a treat for a while. Just playing my best music I had stored on a DVD.

We all take what we have today for granted. But it wasn't always so. Android was born at least partly out of ubuntu as far as I know.

I drifted away from ubuntu a few years ago, never abandoned it, even installed it on my mcbook air until the dual boot failed and I never found the time to fix it. But I still have a desktop running ubuntu and two of my kids laptops are also running it. My oldest son defied the parental authority and decided to go W for obscure beatmaking reasons.

I only use W because I can't avoid it at work. But it's not a pleasure.

I'm looking forward to retirement now, so I have time to get back into proper ubuntu mode. But that's still a few years away...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Woo! I hecking love Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My first contact with Ubuntu was back in '07 with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn!
    Not always stayed with Ubuntu but always checking in to test new versions, the version i stayed with the longest back then was 10.04 Lucid Lynx, that was a good one

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Fond memories of Warty. I still remember how impressed I was, which room I was when I installed it. I've jumped around a bit, but kept Ubuntu close by. Great contribution Canonical!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Is it really so long since?

I think I was starting with warthy beta back then.

my setup:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I started with Breezy Badger.
    I can remember getting free CD's from ship it, I think I got like 6 or 7 of them and
    was giving them out and still have some laying around in the covers they came in.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I have MicroSoft to thank. Never would of left them if it wasn't for Vista back in 2008.
    Funny enough, you actually missed their best release (Windows 7). But as the saying goes, "and then it got worse".

My last straw was unwanted updates rebooting my system in the middle of games (after the penultimate straw of updates resetting privacy settings - such a thing should be a crime since they don't tell you).

That being said, Vista drove me off for a while, as well.
    Last edited by zimbuf; October 27th, 2019 at 06:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast