Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usable to sync mount error

Beans

Usable to sync mount error

I have a problem with my test machine (fortunately it is not my main one!). It only started happening after I did an in-house upgrade to Ubuntu 19.04.
    From the Grub menu, I choose Ubuntu, and then I get:

Kernel Panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0)
    CPU 0 PID 1 Comm Swapper/0#16-1-10 ubuntu
    Hardware name: System manufacturer: System Product Name/M5A70L-MU/SB3 BIOS 1801 11/12/2013.

Call Trace:

dump stack+0x63/0x8a
    panic+0x101/0x2a7
    mount_block_root+0x238/0x2df
    ? do_early_param+0x95/0x95
    mount_root+0x38/0x3a
    prepare_namespace+0x139/0x18e
    kermel_init_freeable+0x23c/0x262
    ? rest_init+0xb0/0xb0
    kernet_init+0xe/0x100
    ret_from_fork+0x22/0x40

Kernel Offset 0x14000000 from 0xfffffff81000000: relocation range 0xffffffff800000000-0xffffffffbffffff)
    end Kernel Panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0)

I have tried Boot Repair to no avail
    Strangely enough I cannot get in via a Live CD as when plugged in via USB, the computer turns itself off.
    No change if the PSU is changed.
    Last edited by tommy2k10; May 22nd, 2019 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Usable to sync mount error

What about a flash drive "Live UBuntu" environment? Does that work?

Initially, I was thinking a bad HDD, but if the CD doesn't work too (and it used to), then I'm thinking disk controller or motherboard. It could also be another hardware issue like a bad GPU. Really need to boot using alternate media, like a flash drive with an Ubuntu desktop on it, to see.

Changing the PSU was a good guess too.

Beans

I hadn't tried that! I will, and get back to you.

Beans

All this is very strange - I put Ubuntu on a USB flash drive and tried it from one of the ports on the back of my test machine, and it booted fine. However, the machine did turn itself off, so I had to do it a second time.
    Strange partition structure in Disk Utility though - Extended Partition - Partition 2 249GB, /dev/sda2, Partition 5, 249GB LUKS, Linux, LUKS Encryption Version 1.
    Then when I ran sudo fsck -f /dev/sda2, I got "fsck from util-linux 2.32 e2fsck 1.44.4 (18-Aug-2018) fsck.ext2 Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/sda2 Could this be a zeroength partition?
    And then I ran sudo fsck -f /dev/sda5, all I get it "fsck from until-linux 2.32" and nothing else.
    I also noticed the clock says 09.51 instead of 10.51 (the time I am writing this!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you checked the system with fsck from grub recovery ?
    Also clean the system via clean/autoclean/autoremove/gtkorphan

Beans

Even grub recovery comes up with that error message as well!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Have you checked the system with fsck from grub recovery ?
    Also clean the system via clean/autoclean/autoremove/gtkorphan
    How do I do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2k10 View Post
    All this is very strange - I put Ubuntu on a USB flash drive and tried it from one of the ports on the back of my test machine, and it booted fine. However, the machine did turn itself off, so I had to do it a second time.
    Strange partition structure in Disk Utility though - Extended Partition - Partition 2 249GB, /dev/sda2, Partition 5, 249GB LUKS, Linux, LUKS Encryption Version 1.
    Then when I ran sudo fsck -f /dev/sda2, I got "fsck from util-linux 2.32 e2fsck 1.44.4 (18-Aug-2018) fsck.ext2 Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/sda2 Could this be a zeroength partition?
    And then I ran sudo fsck -f /dev/sda5, all I get it "fsck from until-linux 2.32" and nothing else.
    I also noticed the clock says 09.51 instead of 10.51 (the time I am writing this!)
    Assuming I'm reading your interpretation of the partitions correctly, it seems to be a whole drive encryption install. You can't access anything inside sda5 until it gets "opened" using cryptsetup and LVM. Tell it to scan inside the unlocked encrypted container for VGs and LVs, sudo vgscan -y If you boot from a USB flash drive - perhaps a Mate Desktop, then I'm positive you can gain access to the encrypted storage and LVM volumes, assuming you know the passphrase to unlock the encrypted areas. I've done this more than a few times. Think I might have needed to install lvm and cryptsetup into the temporary environment after each reboot.

Update - sudo vgscan -ya is needed above to activate found VGs.

Until the LVs are seen post-LUKS decryption, you cannot fsck those volumes.

Please don't describe the command output. Run the commands and copy/paste both the exact command AND the output here. We are used to seeing console output. Also, whenever posting commands+output, please use "code tags" so all the columns line up. Basically, it should look identical here as it does in a terminal, without coloring. That's in the AdvReply or GoAdvanced editor - use the # button like you would the "quote-tags"

If you can't copy/paste the output, redirect it to a file, then sneaker-net the file to another system where you can post using copy/paste.

A clock being off could easily just be the TZ variable isn't set correctly or isn't doing DST.

Tiny typos are killing my ability to help.

BTW, I'm fairly familiar with LUKS encryption. Been using it about 5 yrs now. If you aren't intentionally using encrypted storage, then get your data out ASAP and reinstall without that overhead. Also, encrypted storage has all sorts of liabilities, so be certain you have backups working perfectly, every time and know that you can restore from those backups.

If you need more detailed help, ask. But I'll need lots of commands to be run first.
    Last edited by TheFu; May 28th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.

Beans

I can see the data after I went to Files, clicked on the Encrypted drive and entered my password.

This is the output I got when I ran
    Code:
    sudo -vgscan -y
    :

Code:
    Reading volume groups from cache.
    Found volume group "ubuntu-vg" using metadata type lvm2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

-vgscan? I'd be surprised if that command was found.

sudo vgscan -ay

Might want to check the manpage for the command.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast