Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D accelaration with Poulsbo GMA500 through EMGD

Beans

Re: 3D accelaration with Poulsbo GMA500 through EMGD

try eminteepc
    linux mint + emgd

here it is

http://eminteepc.freeforums.org/emin...k-end-t32.html
    Last edited by howefield; January 25th, 2016 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hello all together,

don't know if there is any interest left getting EMGD working on your devices, but I want to get it working again.
    Maybe some people of you remember me from the past - for those who don't: I made the Xorg downgrades and the xorg.conf generator for our community. I'm glad to see many howto's using them online
    After my netbook's mainboard got broken I wasn't able to test my work, but now I bought a cheap mainboard from asia and I'd like to work on it again

Well, as EMGD 1.16 is out and there seem to be problems getting it working on Raring.. What are the most big problems at the moment? Do we still need Xorg downgrades? What about the kernel version?
    Hope you can get me up-to-date again, thanks!

Got now EMGD working. Just need to make downgrading Xorg and Mesa cleaner.
    I'm not really sure but I think I never downgraded Mesa for older EMGD versions before.
    In my point of view OpenGL is fast and works good.
    Tested on openarena, XBMC, projectm-pulseaudio and other opengl-software..
    Just a framework, called kivy, I wanted to get working does not work, but seems to be releated to SDL.

If there are any questions feedback is welcome in this thread.

EMGD_UbuntuSaucy.png
    (Xorg 1.9 + Mesa 7.9 on Ubuntu Saucy (kernel 3.11) )

PS: This glxgears window above gives ~425FPS
    PSS: Sorry about the screenshot quality..
    Last edited by howefield; January 25th, 2016 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Wow!, could you post a how to?, I would love to go back to linux since I have to remain windows 7 installed because of the 2D and 3D acceleration. How's the video playback?

Beans
    Distro

Well, in my case installing Win7 was not an option as I just have 16GB SSD.

Video playback is ok, if you are watching SD video..
    As I didn't get VA-API working and looking at the CPU usage, I think it is related to the encoding that the playback is that poor.
    Saw people at yoctoproject providing patches for EMGD or vaapi to make (their own) driver work.
    Sadly I found no way to debug that as I think there are missing dependencies or find these patches to make it work.

I'm uploading my work to GitHub and my PPA at launchpad. There are many old packages in it, but I'm working on a clean up.
    So it is still a work in progress.

Can't say it will work on your netbook, too, I use a Asus T91. The driver still does not configure the screen automaticly, you'll need to configure it by hand. (emgd-xorg-conf does not work for me since emgd 1.10) But Intel provides two samples for that and one of it worked.
    However when looking at the hours I spent on getting this driver work, getting no help from Intel as they say I had to own a company to get deeper support and I never asked for money in the past even for a cup of coffee, I will probably now don't provide any instructions as long as I don't see any feedback.

PS: Here a clip to see my results: http://youtu.be/v5VHH5ie2CY

Well, added now quick start guide at https://github.com/EMGD-Community/in...ck-start-guide
    Give still not support on that, so you'll need to make it work in your own.
    Please let me know when you get it working to collect the configurations which need to be made.
    Last edited by howefield; January 25th, 2016 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
    Well, added now quick start guide at https://github.com/EMGD-Community/in...ck-start-guide
    Give still not support on that, so you'll need to make it work in your own.
    Please let me know when you get it working to collect the configurations which need to be made.
    Hi,

Thanks for your work, I'm going to try this on a Vaio P that is currently running 12.04.3. (3.11 kernel)

The quick start says to use install xorg-module but there isn't such a thing to install. Could you elaborate the steps I'd need to take to try this out?

Thanks

Tim

Beans
    Distro

Oh, sorry it was not meant to stay as a name of a package.
    The needed meta package is called "xserver-xorg-1.9-video-emgd" and will install the meego subpackage.

PS: I just updated the quick start guide as it is needed to blacklist the opensource driver and force to load the emgd driver.
    PSS: Now building libav against the libva I got from Tizen. I'm wondering which version it really has, as it seems to be 1.0.15 but including 1.1.x. However, vainfo does not crash with it and I hope the libav rebuild will give us VA-API support soon.

I've got good and bad news. The good is that I got OpenGL ES now running and the bad OpenGL is broken now as I moved the binaries to a multilibrary layout now. I'm going crazy

The reason why I moved the libraries to that layout is that dependencies like libva expect the binaries at /usr/lib/i386-*/*
    I'll make now the mesa-7.9 package multiarch as well. OpenGL was working with it before very well..

So for those who are testing the drivers: it might come to missing files, messed up dependencies, conflicting files or whatever. In most cases it would be enough to disable the driver at xorg.conf and remove emgd from boot. Just hold on and wait - fixes will be available in my PPA soon. (Hopefully )

UPDATE: Everything (OpenGL/OpenGL ES) works now except of VA-API! ( Using the fedora14 binaries)
    Last edited by howefield; January 25th, 2016 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

I've tried this on 12.04 but there are no packages in your repository for precise. I'm going to give saucy a try now. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm having real trouble installing xserver-xorg-1.9-video-emgd and mesa7.9 using your repo. It's a clean install of 13.10. Do you have any tips for the steps I should take?

Thanks
    Last edited by howefield; January 25th, 2016 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, which messages / output do you get. Looks like I need to add more time to that. Do you use a GUI to install the packagea or a commandline tool, e.g. apt-get?

Well, I didn't take care that much on precise as there is enough work on getting libva working. You might notice I'm providing different versions of it at the moment on the repo for testing.
    I just contacted the yoctoproject team - hope it get mail from them.
    Last edited by thopiekar; March 4th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
    Well, which messages / output do you get. Looks like I need to add more time to that. Do you use a GUI to install the packagea or a commandline tool, e.g. apt-get?
    I'm using apt-get but I'm not sure the exact steps you are expecting me to use with your repo. I've clean installed 13.10 because I got to a point where it wouldn't boot (no CTRL ALT F1 etc)

So what commands from here would you expect me to run? I'll run them and report back the exact problems I'm having, hopefully by working through it we can create some kind of guide for other people that want to do the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

To add the repository, run:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thopiekar/emgd
    sudo apt-get update
    Then install the EMGD-driver by:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emgd-driver
    This should be enough to install the driver and it also should downgrade Xorg to v1.9 and Mesa to 7.9. Hope it works
    Last edited by thopiekar; March 4th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast