Thread: skype installation

Beans

skype installation

I have a notebook running Ubuntu 12.04 can anyone tell me if you can install Skype and how to do so, I'm quite new to Ubuntu 12 so can you please explain in noob speak

Beans

Re: skype installation

Hi DaSkinna,
    I am new to Ubuntu also. I have 13.10 dual boot windows 8.1 on the desktop and 12.04 LTS on a very old lap top. Both have Skype in Ubuntu now. I just went to the Skype web page when using the Ubuntu operating system and it had a selection for Ubuntu distribution and I downloaded that. It installed under the Software Centre. Below is the Link to Skype, you then select your distribution. Hope this helps.
    http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/
    Last edited by ansus; November 29th, 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: skype installation

Quote Originally Posted by DaSkinna View Post
    I have a notebook running Ubuntu 12.04 can anyone tell me if you can install Skype and how to do so, I'm quite new to Ubuntu 12 so can you please explain in noob speak
    Open 'Software Center' ->Edit -> Software sources -> Other Software -> select/check 'Canonical Partners' and 'Independent'. Close Software Center. Open Terminal [ctrl+alt+t] and run the following commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install skype
    Always install software from Ubuntu repositories in Software Center, if available. The applications in 'Software Center' are TESTED on Ubuntu version you are using. Installing software from other sources CAN cause problems.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."