Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 5583

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What makes people to go back to Windows rather than sticking to Ubuntu

I don't want to start a new thread on this topic, Instead I would ask

What makes people to go back to Windows rather than sticking to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What makes people to go back to Windows rather than sticking to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post

Based on the hundreds of "I'm going back to Windows" threads I've read over the past eight years here, I'd say it really boils down to one or both of the following:

1. There is an absolutely mission-critical personal or professional Windows-only program the user needs that does not run or run fully functionally in Ubuntu.

2. Someone or multiple people in the Linux community oversold Ubuntu as a drop-in replacement for Windows, and when the user does not find that to be the case, she leaves, frustrated (totally different interface/way of doing things, hardware incompatibility troubleshooting, etc.).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What aysiu said, but also...I sometimes toy with the idea when I run into Ubuntu's rough edges: when it insists on moving my Desktop icons around on bootup instead of leaving them where I put them, when it resets my screen's refresh rate to a flickering 60Hz and I have to manually reset it every time I boot up*, when I get something working just right and it totally breaks with the next Ubuntu upgrade, etc.

* Yes, I'm still on a CRT. I'm supporting a family of four on a state salary...
    Last edited by peyre; May 10th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have half-gone back to Windows for a few reasons
    1. Compatibility; hardware and software just work and in some cases works more efficiently.
    2. Microsoft Office
    3. SkyDrive; because 25GB for free is really nice for storing files plus it includes web-based tools for opening and editing files in the browser or a locally installed Office program without having ot download.
    4. Visual Studio; because I am needing to code just to get coding and Visual Studio plus .NET is what I have been trained in and use at work.
    5. Windows Live programs; I find them easy and intuitive
    6. I have an old, old game that works in Windows but I haven't managed to get it working in Linux yet
    7. All of this desktop environment changes leaves me not fully happy with any of them at this point (though Xfce in Xubuntu is winning at the current time).
    8. ADD

At the same time, I am also using Linux.

On the server-side, it is a no-brainer and i use Linux in one form (Ubuntu server) or another (Zentyal).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu over Windows

I don't choose one over the other. They both serve their purpose for me. Windows is far from perfect but so is Ubuntu and Linux in general. I use Linux for pretty much everything except for Netflix and most of my gaming. The Linux Netflix app is buggy and has terrible video quality and while I do use Steam for Linux a lot I've bought over 40 games on Steam over the years and until they are all ported to Linux (which I doubt -but still hope- will happen with a lot of them) I'm going to continue to be a dual booter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I have half-gone back to Windows for a few reasons
    1. Compatibility; hardware and software just work and in some cases works more efficiently.
    2. Microsoft Office
    3. SkyDrive; because 25GB for free is really nice for storing files plus it includes web-based tools for opening and editing files in the browser or a locally installed Office program without having ot download.
    4. Visual Studio; because I am needing to code just to get coding and Visual Studio plus .NET is what I have been trained in and use at work.
    5. Windows Live programs; I find them easy and intuitive
    6. I have an old, old game that works in Windows but I haven't managed to get it working in Linux yet
    7. All of this desktop environment changes leaves me not fully happy with any of them at this point (though Xfce in Xubuntu is winning at the current time).
    8. ADD

At the same time, I am also using Linux.

On the server-side, it is a no-brainer and i use Linux in one form (Ubuntu server) or another (Zentyal).

This proves most of your important work is done by Windows..Then why do we have to use Linux..People might argue Freedom, Choice, liberty to customize etc..But all comes with cost of time.. People spend most of the time sometimes hours together to get some simple work done...At the end of the day.. That is what is called Linux world...

Beans

I think
    "if you ask this questions, please DONT USE linux"

I'm not a fanatic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Simply put: It's customizeable and stable. No-one dictates my experience but me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is a fact which was mentioned, so no offence.It is just a discussion..

Beans

its true that sometimes linux is technical and not suitable for everyone, but it is becoming more easily accessible with time.
    there is no doubt about Superiority of linux and free software, terrible bugs happen all the time in windowzee too, but often no one can fix them no matter how technically knowledgeable one is,
    to all dear windowzz/macz/etc-heads please stick back to your MSTabletz/etcz and dont waste your time here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxDa3t0fg

Page 541 of 559 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543551 ... LastLast