Thread: No Sound in the Front (Ubuntu 12.04)

Beans

No Sound in the Front (Ubuntu 12.04)

I'm a newbie on Linux, and I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. The problem is: I have a VIA VT1705 audio card and the back ports are working well, but there's no sound in the Panel USB Audio Mic (for the headphone). I already read some other posts here, but none of them helped me fix this.

Beans

Re: No Sound in the Front (Ubuntu 12.04)

Quote Originally Posted by gsrafael View Post
    I'm a newbie on Linux, and I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. The problem is: I have a VIA VT1705 audio card and the back ports are working well, but there's no sound in the Panel USB Audio Mic (for the headphone). I already read some other posts here, but none of them helped me fix this.
    I'm almost giving up on this and going back to Windows... Anyone?

Beans

Re: No Sound in the Front (Ubuntu 12.04)

Try to execute alsamixer in terminal. Do you see green ">" symbols on the right side of the frame? Move cursor to the rightmost field AND THEN FURTHER — THERE ARE MORE OPTIONS. Or you can STRETCH terminal window wider until you see all of the controls. See the screenshot here: http://www-developer.blogspot.ru/201...-12041210.html

You probably need to turn on "Smart 5.1" (by pressing M key!) and then switch "Independent" on or off.

If this doesn't work, then you probably also have to add "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" string to "alsa-base.conf" file as described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

(I first modified the file and when it didn't work found alsamixer solution, don't know if it's obligatory to have both options done)
    Last edited by ssrublev; February 25th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.