Thread: copy files in live mode.

Beans

copy files in live mode.

I booted a liveCD of ubuntu on my windows box. All I want here is to move some backed up linux files ( currently on a windows partition ) to a linux drive. I can see both drives but when I copy I'm told I dont have permission to copy to the linux drive. How do I get permission.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: copy files in live mode.

You probably do not own the target directory. One way is to copy with superuser privileges. I would do it in a terminal windows with cp (if simple) or rsync if more advanced. See
    Code:
    man rsync
    Code:
    sudo rsync -av /path/sourcedir/ /path/targetdir
    If you prefer doing it with a file browser you can start it from a terminal window with
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus --no-desktop
    Beware, you can easily destroy your system when the file browser has superuser privileges, so close it as soon as you have finished the copying.
    Last edited by sudodus; February 8th, 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added command template for rsync

Beans

Well I tried the rsync. Reading up on it afterword I dont think that is wise in my situation. I dont want update files I really need everything over written but the boot directories. I tried the rsync anyways just over writing the usr/etc/var/lib dirs and grub boots to the purple screen and then hangs.

I guess I could try the same thing with a normal copy. Though I was wondering if unbuntu server has an in-place upgrade that will just fix up the OS and leave my installed software and settings?

ok CP:
    using cp I tried with -afR seem to be doing the trick.
    Last edited by ulao; February 8th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ulao View Post
    Well I tried the rsync. Reading up on it afterword I dont think that is wise in my situation. I dont want update files I really need everything over written but the boot directories. I tried the rsync anyways just over writing the usr/etc/var/lib dirs and grub boots to the purple screen and then hangs.

I guess I could try the same thing with a normal copy. Though I was wondering if unbuntu server has an in-place upgrade that will just fix up the OS and leave my installed software and settings?

ok CP:
    using cp I tried with -afR seem to be doing the trick.
    I'm glad cp 'seems to be doing the trick'. I guess you need -f to 'force copy' some stubborn file or directory.

Please confirm that it worked or come back and ask for other options

Beans

I did the trick, thx!