Thread: Wireless keeps disconnecting after so many updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exclamation Wireless keeps disconnecting after so many updates

I have noticed a consistent issue with Ubuntu. I have it running on an older Pentium with 1 GB ram.

After every three or four...maybe if I'm lucky five updates, for whatever reason, the wireless connectivity stops working.

Then I come back to these forums and have to research how to fix it. I keep the Ubuntu up to date, but....can't figure out why this keeps happening.

It's not like we're adding any software to the PC (externally or from the Ubuntu Software Centre) so why does this keep happening?

BTW, I do not change my SSID or password (I've used the same credentials since I set up my network) so it's not like I've inputted in something incorrectly.

This PC is strictly used to surf the net and once in a blue moon, use Open Office (which Ubuntu is obviously equipped to run). The networking card is relatively new; Heck, I've posted about it on this site before. I got Ubuntu to work with it, so it's not the network card.....

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by YMS_1975; September 23rd, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Wireless keeps disconnecting after so many updates

No takers huh?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Wireless keeps disconnecting after so many updates

Quote Originally Posted by YMS_1975 View Post
    No takers huh?
    There might have been if you had posted some relevant information. Such as...

What wireless NIC are you using? Is this a laptop or desktop? If desktop, pci card or usb? Do you know the chipset? If you don't, open a terminal and post the output of:

Code:
    lspci
    .. if the nic is a PCI or internal laptop one. Or:

Code:
    lsusb
    ... if a usb device.

Also - can you confirm that you are still running 9.10 as your profile says, or a later version. And what "fixes" have you applied to your system?

Do you have any other machines or operating systems connecting to your wireless network and is there any problem with any of them?

That'll be enough to be going on with. You might not get any more from me for the next few hours. Late here.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Wireless keeps disconnecting after so many updates

I know it's been a while since I posted the original post, but I just thought I'd post something new to it since I feel it's relevant to this scenario.

That PC was working just fine until I updated it last, and then the wireless stopped (again). It's been dead up until yesterday.

I noticed that 10.10 was out and decided to download the ISO (on another computer in the house, burned it to CD) and update it. As soon as I updated it (via CD), guess what? It worked again.

Wireless connection is back up and running.
    It's working great now, but I wonder how many updates before it stops working again.

Oh well....just glad she's working again.

Beans

I had a problem with Maverick wireless network turning on and off by itself after waking from sleep. Turns out the problem was I had nm-applet running along with wicd-daemon. "Killall wicd" resolved the issue and I was able to put it to sleep and wake it up, no issues. I posted it on my blog here: http://valgameiro.com/linux-wireless...netbook-remix/

Beans

For anyone out there who still has this problem, my solution was to kill wicd-daemon... I had nm-applet and wicd running together and they were conflicting. http://valgameiro.com/linux-wireless...netbook-remix/ Val

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Starting to hate this OS

Can't believe I'm still having connectivity issues in 2013!!!
    My younger son has been after me to install the latest version of Ubuntu on his Dell Studio 540 desktop. I did, and now it won't recognize the wireless connection. The SSID and the password are correct, but it won't connect.

I also noticed I keep getting different types of error messages. I just installed 12.10 and I kept getting a screen dump (full of text) that I could never seem to capture as the PC became unresponsive. I formatted and reinstalled 12.10 a few times. Now the screen dump seems to have corrected itself, but I just can't connect.

I created another thread about this just a few days ago (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2106965) to see if I could get some help, but since it related to my original thread (from back in 2011) I thought I'd just post my latest experience here as well. How is it that something as basic as connectivity is always a struggle with Ubuntu? How hard would it be for them (I honestly don't know) to have all the necessary network drivers included on their .ISO image so that Ubuntu can work out of the box? Clearly they have increased the size of the image file (as it no longer fits on a CD), so why do I have to tinker around with my network cards drivers?

Sorry for the rant; THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, YMS_1975,

You never did Post any system details, so you do not have very good grounds for ranting here.

I ve had similar problems for years and am still trying to solve them, with much help from these forum and chili555 especially .

The latest development is a generalised update to network drivers called: 'backports-modules-cw'. I have found it a great improvement, but not the perfection you seem to want.

There is a package of newer updated drivers, including Realtek, called compat-wireless. This is just the Ubuntu-customized version.
    You need to install the version for your ubuntu distribution, example for 12.10:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic
    Thanks due to chili for this.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; January 23rd, 2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: comments deleted after reading link thread
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, YMS19_75,
    deleted'
    Wrong Thread
    Last edited by bogan; January 24th, 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: delete
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Starting to hate this OS

Quote Originally Posted by YMS_1975 View Post
    I created another thread about this just a few days ago (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2106965) to see if I could get some help
    Since your other thread is active, I'll close this one so that community support is not diluted.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.