Thread: isearch.babylon hijack-How can I get rid of this?

Beans

Question isearch.babylon hijack-How can I get rid of this?

I'm running xubuntu 12.12 on an Aspire One netbook, Chromium browser. Opening Chromium takes me to Google search. In the past couple of days I've noticed that when I open Chromium, the Google tab opens, but then a second tab opens with isearch.babylon search engine. I don't where I picked this up, but I didn't ask for it and would like it gone.

The little bit of research I've done seems to indicate that as search hijacks go it's a fairly benign one, but it still pisses me off. I've tried managing search engines in Chromium settings, but it doesn't show up there. Running clam in terminal found nothing, but I don't think that's the sort of thing clam searches for any way.

Any ideas? If not I'm just going to blow off this install and start from scratch, but I'd rather not.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: isearch.babylon hijack-How can I get rid of this?

I presume you have al;ready looked in the Basic Settings page of chromium, where you can ask for different pages to appear at startup. If not click on the spanner top right and go to Settings where you can change the pages in the first and second sections. See screenshot with red markings where you may find something that you can remove.

Apologies if this is just telling you exactly what you already know, but there is no indication in your post about your computer skills other than the 37 posts you've made so far.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I presume you have al;ready looked in the Basic Settings page of chromium, where you can ask for different pages to appear at startup. If not click on the spanner top right and go to Settings where you can change the pages in the first and second sections. See screenshot with red markings where you may find something that you can remove.
    Well now I feel stupid. I was so certain I had picked up a browser hijack I didn't look at the settings that I used to load Google on startup in the first place.

Sheesh.

Otoh, I didn't tell Chromium to add isearch to startup. Hmm.

Apologies if this is just telling you exactly what you already know, but there is no indication in your post about your computer skills other than the 37 posts you've made so far.
    No apology necessary. I'm not a Linux guru, but not a complete noob either. I am a bit susceptible to tunnel-vision...

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't worry, I've looked down that same tunnel a few times myself, and then had to give myself a severe telling off for not looking for the obvious answers.

Glad you got there in the end!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info