Thread: SpiderSolitaire.exe Won't Execute

Beans

SpiderSolitaire.exe Won't Execute

Hi,

I have copied the SpiderSolitaire folder from my Windows Vista machine and am trying to execute it on Ubuntu 11.10 using Wine but I get the following error in the terminal:

Code:
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:slc:SLGetWindowsInformationDWORD (L"Shell-InBoxGames-SpiderSolitaire-EnableGame") stub
    In the Configure Wine program I have Windows version set to XP (by default) but have tried changing it to Windows Vista but the same error appears.

Does anyone know a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SpiderSolitaire.exe Won't Execute

What's wrong with the solitaire games included with Ubuntu?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

I've tried the ones available for Linux but I prefer the Windows ones.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you even checked that the Windows version of spider solitaire can be installed under Wine?

Beans

Apparently it can:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...cation&iId=164

The screenshot looks like the Windows XP version but I can't seem to find a download for it so I'm trying to install the Windows Vista version.

Beans
    Distro

I checked, the last test was done in wine version 1.2, get a copy of the 32 bit version, I don't see anything about anyone trying to run the 64 bit one and 64 bit wine is still new.

It seemed to have a few issues, I just can't fathom what's so great about the windows version that makes it worth running in wine rather than simply playing the native one's included with Ubuntu, I tried them out and they didn't seem to be lacking anything obvious.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans

I'm not running a 64-bit version of Wine as far as I know. This computer isn't a 64-bit machine.

It seems strange that I must justify why I would like to install the Windows version of Solitaire on Ubuntu in a Wine forum, but PySol is full of bugs and hasn't been updated for around 8 years, AisleRiot solitaire plays differently to the Windows Spider Solitaire, and the other versions are just terrible.

I take it there is no solution to my problem?

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry I got this confused with another thread that I was reading about getting spider solitaire to run, you don't have to justify it, I'm just saying I don't get it, I am actually searching around for ways to get it to run

Everything I've read says that it should just work so I have no suggestion for you since you are using a 32 bit version of spider solitaire.

Beans

Thanks. This must be a common problem and a popular request. I'll see if I can get hold of a Windows XP version - maybe I'll have more luck. In the meantime if you are able to find a solution please let me know

Beans

Be careful as the XP version plays differently than the Vista/Seven one. On XP you can't go back once new cards have been dealt or a full run has been completed.