Thread: Unable to set up vsftpd with SSL "ECONNREFUSED"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs up Unable to set up vsftpd with SSL "ECONNREFUSED"

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 in a Virtualbox machine, and I have been trying to set up an FTP server using vsftpd, but to no avail.

I have been following epimeteo's howto at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=518293, but I keep running into this same problem. Every time I try to enable SSL on the server, the entire thing breaks and I can't even restart the server any more!

Before I try to add SSL capabilities, my settings in /etc/vsftpd.conf look like this:
    Code:
    # FTP config file /etc/vsftpd.conf
    listen=YES
    anonymous_enable=NO
    local_enable=YES
    write_enable=YES
    dirmessage_enable=YES
    use_localtime=YES
    xferlog_enable=YES
    connect_from_port_20=YES
    idle_session_timeout=600
    data_connection_timeout=120
    ftpd_banner=Welcome to the Netherworld FTP service.
    chroot_local_user=YES
    chroot_list_enable=YES
    chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
    secure_chroot_dir=/var/run/vsftpd/empty
    pam_service_name=vsftpd
    rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    userlist_deny=NO
    userlist_enable=YES
    userlist_file=/etc/vsftpd.allowed_users
    This works. I can use standard FTP to log in with my account user/pass.

I then append the following to the file, in an attempt to enable SSL:
    Code:
    #
    # SSL settings
    ssl_enable=YES
    allow_anon_ssl=NO
    force_local_data_ssl=YES
    force_local_logins_ssl=YES
    ssl_tlsv1=YES
    ssl_sslv2=YES
    ssl_sslv3=YES
    # Filezilla uses port 21 if you don't set any port
    # in Servertype "FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL"
    # Port 990 is the default used for FTPS protocol.
    # Uncomment it if you want/have to use port 990.
    #listen_port=990
    I then reset the server so it will use the new settings, here is the terminal output:
    Code:
    $ sudo restart vsftpd
    vsftpd start/running, process 3192
    At this point, it stops working. When I try to use Filezilla to connect to 127.0.0.1 in FTPES mode, I get the following:
    Code:
    Status:    Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
    Error:    Could not connect to server
    At first I thought perhaps I needed to tell Filezilla to use port 990 instead of 21. But this did not change the result. So I tried to uncomment the last line "listen_port=990" in the vsftp.conf. This is when I noticed a problem. I cannot reset the server:
    Code:
    $ sudo restart vsftpd
    restart: Unknown instance:
    Restarting the machine does not help, so all I can think to do is completely remove and reinstall vsftpd using sudo apt-get remove --purge vsftpd and sudo apt-get install vsftpd. But while this will reset everything to the basics and let me gain access to the server it does not solve the problem. I still cannot enable SSL without the server breaking.

Thank you for sticking with me through that long winded problem description, I hope somebody can help me solve this problem, I've been trying for 3 days to get this server going!

-Edit: I managed to find out that the server was trrowing a silent error that I could read by manually running vsfptd. This pointed me to a problem in the configuration with the RSA certificate, and a quick fix and reboot later it was working
    Last edited by Dark_Jester; January 31st, 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: Unable to set up vsftpd with SSL "ECONNREFUSED"

Thank you for the tip. I had the same issue and it turned out that I did not install the RSA certificate yet.

I used the instructions on this website to generate a certificate:

http://wiki.vpslink.com/Configuring_..._a_Certificate

It also required adding a link to the certificate in the vsftpd config file.

Beans

Re: Unable to set up vsftpd with SSL "ECONNREFUSED"

I was having a similar problem just now, but I found there was nothing wrong with my set up in Ubuntu, it was the settings in the FTP client (Filezilla) that were wrong ... so double check that (mine was fine once I changed it from a computer name to specific IP address, and also made sure it was in passive mode, and not assuming a port number)