Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Mythbuntu 12.04 w/ MythTV .26 w/ PVR-* cards?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Anyone using Mythbuntu 12.04 w/ MythTV .26 w/ PVR-* cards?

I have a current system with 1 PVR-350 and 1 PVR-500 which is running mythbuntu 10.04.4 and 0.23.1+fixes. All is running perfectly. I have been considering moving to 12.04.1 and MythTV 0.26 but I want to be certain that it's not plagued with the zero byte recordings bug that I was reading about. Can anyone confirm all is well using the PVR-* analog cards with MythTV .26 and Mythbuntu 12.04.1? I saw that Mythbuntu 12.04.1 is based with MythTV .25.2, is there an option to get .26 using mythbuntu repos?

I would run a "test" with a live cd if I could but the system is an old Dell Dimension 8200 and only has 256 of RAM so it wouldn't pan out to well! I just noticed that Mythbuntu 12.04.1 requires 512 mb of ram and 2gb is suggested. What if the system is just going to be a headless server? No gui needed? Can I somehow use an Xubuntu alternate install disc, then add the mythbuntu repos and get my box equivalent to running Mythbuntu 12.04.1 with MythTV .26? I will just admin it over ssh or a tty session as I do now.

Beans

Re: ANyone using Mythbuntu 12.04 w/ MythTV .26 w/ PVR-* cards?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I just noticed that Mythbuntu 12.04.1 requires 512 mb of ram and 2gb is suggested. What if the system is just going to be a headless server? No gui needed?
    I don't think there's any supported configuration for any flavor of Ubuntu to run without X and a gui going. That's why I only use Ubuntu on frontend machines nowadays --I couldn't see having X a gui and the graphical-shell Network Manager running on backend-only machines that never have a monitor hooked to them.

Beans
    Distro

ubuntu minimal cd.

Beans

I stand corrected.

Also I suppose the server edition would give you this capability. You could probably still do a pure backend in 256M RAM. Out of curiosity, would you use wicd or a network startup script for your X-less networking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Presumably the ivtv (PVR-*) bug has been patched. Someone commented that the patch fixed the latest release of .25.

I haven’t yet upgraded my system but hoping to sometime soon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    I stand corrected.

Also I suppose the server edition would give you this capability. You could probably still do a pure backend in 256M RAM. Out of curiosity, would you use wicd or a network startup script for your X-less networking?
    not sure what you mean, my Dell Dimension 8200 which this will be installed on doesn't have a wireless card, only ethernet and there are already is a startup script for networking. I just edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and I am all set.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    not sure what you mean, my Dell Dimension 8200 which this will be installed on doesn't have a wireless card, only ethernet and there are already is a startup script for networking. I just edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and I am all set.
    Ah. Much like Network Mangler itself, wicd is both a wired _and_ a wireless manager; it just does its job without X (though various gui interfaces are available if you wish to configure/use it in X) Just configuring /etc/network/interfaces is at least as good for an ethernet connection, of course, since it shouldn't require wicd's auto-reconnect capabilities like wireless usually does.

I was just a bit curious about which of the two or three easiest non-X methods for configuring the network your mini-CD-based installation used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GaryP2 View Post
    Presumably the ivtv (PVR-*) bug has been patched. Someone commented that the patch fixed the latest release of .25.

I haven’t yet upgraded my system but hoping to sometime soon.
    Yes you can see quite clearly here https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commits/fixes/0.25 that the patch was applied on 29 November by stuartm. Commit number starts 11ef56
    Last edited by nickrout; December 6th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone using Mythbuntu 12.04 w/ MythTV .26 w/ PVR-* cards?

When 0.26 came out I tried it using a pvr-150 on 10.04. Unfortunately, when the channel had a transition I ended up with video buffer issue and then it dumped me back to the FE. I never had this issue with 0.25 so I ended up downgrading.

This is the same bug as this

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11175

I don't know if it a bug or if it is my system.

Beans

Re: Anyone using Mythbuntu 12.04 w/ MythTV .26 w/ PVR-* cards?

Until early last December, I had no issues with a pvr150 and hvr1600(analog side) running 10.04/.25.

For an early xmas present, I assembled a new machine and installed 12.04 with .25. Turned on the .25 repos and have done all updates.

Could no longer scan either tuner, but using the old channel data the tuners still recorded. Live tv on either of the tuners also worked, but took about 15 seconds for a channel change. Since I didn't use live tv, it didn't matter. Commercial markings also failed to work since the switch to 12.04 (the process occurs, but nothing is marked).

I was still content with it till a few days ago when the 150 recordings became distorted, some weird mix of multiple images and snow. The 1600 recordings were still ok.

Removed the 150 today and deleted its capture card into in the backend. Upon reboot, the 1600 was no longer detected by Mythtv, it is found with lspci. Remove/reinstall in different slots - nothing. The 150 is still detected, but all the recordings are unwatchable (distorted multiple images). It's doubtful that both cards have failed at the same time.

I'm giving up. Getting ready to put 10.04 on a usb stick; I'll boot from that and see if the cards are detected/working.

Hope your upgrade goes better than mine.

update: Before doing anything with 10.04, I tried 12.04/.26 - as .26 was dannyboy's original question. The pvr150 is tuning much quicker with "live tv" and seems to record correctly again. The analog side of the 1600 is still not found by Myth. The analog 1600 is found with lspci, and functional with 10.04.
    Last edited by mookie60; January 24th, 2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: new info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast